TechSpot

Insider says Microsoft sold exactly 503 Kins -- not?

By Matthew
Jul 7, 2010
  1. Update: One of our readers points us in this direction. The Kin's Facebook application indicates that at least 8,800+ Kin users have signed up for the app and are currently active. This contrasts with the tipster's claim, and gets better in line with the rumor that the actual number of devices sold was in the order of ~10,000 units. Still, pretty horrible PR move by Microsoft with the tons of money and resources gone to waste in so little time. On the other hand, that's what you get when you let an Apple fanboy spread a rumor about Microsoft.

Read the whole story

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,337   +103

Sadly Microsoft handheld devices have not been very popular and so... they don't make costumers want to buy new ones.

@Guest: I'm pretty sure this numbers are from new models.

3. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Did you even read the link? Only KIN devices can use the app, and there are no "new models" besides the two released KIN phones.

4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,337   +103

My bad, realized after posting... got a mix on handhelds... sorry ><

5. kyosuke

kyosuke TS Rookie Posts: 47

If microsoft has 90,000 employees maybe the 8,306 people on Kin were employers or were given as gifts from the Employees to people, other companies, fairs, and maybe even hand-outs for the general public which would make the 503 sold kins were accurate.

6. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

I seriously doubt that only 500 units were sold as that seems extremely unlikely. However the 1k to 10k range is still embarrassing and the way they attempted to target the younger/teen demo with this phone was a poor decision imo.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.