Insignia 26" LCD 720p questions (tvs in general, actually)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

Ok, yesterday we got a 720p 26" Insignia LCD tv. Since then, we got it set up and everything, and it is a great TV so far.

Can you tell me the following:

1. From what I understand, composite is red/white/yellow, while component is green/blue/red. Is this correct? Would using R/W/Y cause me not to be able to get a HD/Progressive scan mode from the PS2? I have tried Gran Turismo 4 on 480p and it came up no signal. I then (for the heck of it) tried 1080i, and it did the same thing. Halo looks fine, it even goes widescreen itself (all the way across the screen.

2. Since it is a 720p, what modes can I get? I am guessing I can get anything lower than that, but am still very confused.

3. Is it ok to run the devices that I don't have room for on the tv's inputs on a selector that runs to the tv with a cable/antanne cord?

4. Exactly why does it show black lines on the sides of the tv on certain shows? Is it because it wasn't made in WS? Why does Transformers still have the black bars on top/bottom when Troy doesn't?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I am pretty confused.

1. Yes, Composite is Red and White (Right and Left channel audio respectively) and Yellow (Video). While Component is Red Green and Blue (all color, no audio). After that I got confused on what your question was.

2. Not sure again what you are asking, is this attached to your computer too? You can watch cable tv high def because whatever you are using will output to your tv at 720p. DVD is actually something like 576 I think, which is more than standard tvs do. So DVDs are better quality than what the standard tvs can do, so upconverting dvd players are kind of nice because you get to see the full quality (sort of... because they make it 720 or 1080 so they have to 'add' information).

3. Again confused, but I'm sure its ok, whether you are utilizing their full quality or not is still up in the air until further clairification on what you are asking.

4. Because things are filmed in different aspect ratios. So some 'widescreen' shows and movies are actually much more widescreen than others. Like 1.86:1 vs something like 2.35:1 That 1.86 might fit without bars, but 2.35:1 will still have bars. 16:9 is a popular widescreen for TV.

mopar man said:
Ok, yesterday we got a 720p 26" Insignia LCD tv. Since then, we got it set up and everything, and it is a great TV so far.

Can you tell me the following:

1. From what I understand, composite is red/white/yellow, while component is green/blue/red. Is this correct? Would using R/W/Y cause me not to be able to get a HD/Progressive scan mode from the PS2? I have tried Gran Turismo 4 on 480p and it came up no signal. I then (for the heck of it) tried 1080i, and it did the same thing. Halo looks fine, it even goes widescreen itself (all the way across the screen.

2. Since it is a 720p, what modes can I get? I am guessing I can get anything lower than that, but am still very confused.

3. Is it ok to run the devices that I don't have room for on the tv's inputs on a selector that runs to the tv with a cable/antanne cord?

4. Exactly why does it show black lines on the sides of the tv on certain shows? Is it because it wasn't made in WS? Why does Transformers still have the black bars on top/bottom when Troy doesn't?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I am pretty confused.

You're set has HDTV has 720p - HDMI 1080i - HDMI (both video and audio are digital)

Your set also has SDTV 480i and 480p using component video (red/blue/green) analog type for video, you then would use either digital coax or digital optical toshlink fiber cable.

If you see both black bars on top and bottom you have to setup the DVD player for 16x9 settings Make sure the TV is in the right mode also. You might have to stretch the image to fit the screen but before you do that make sure that the DVD is not in 4:3 and is in 16:9 widescreen mode. There are some recording still going to show up with the two bars on top and bottom. There will be also what is called Window Boxing where you get 4:3 with black bar to your left and one to the right. That happens when the broadcaster is simulating HD and still using 4:3 ratio and not 16:9.

BTW...

What did you pay for that set? The reason why I am asking I got my hands on Wal-Mart flyer for November they have the RCA 26" HDTV going for $378 bucks!

SNGX1275 said:
1. Yes, Composite is Red and White (Right and Left channel audio respectively) and Yellow (Video). While Component is Red Green and Blue (all color, no audio). After that I got confused on what your question was.
I found the answer. My question was whether or not I could get HD signal from composite, and the answer is no.

2. Not sure again what you are asking, is this attached to your computer too? You can watch cable tv high def because whatever you are using will output to your tv at 720p. DVD is actually something like 576 I think, which is more than standard tvs do. So DVDs are better quality than what the standard tvs can do, so upconverting dvd players are kind of nice because you get to see the full quality (sort of... because they make it 720 or 1080 so they have to 'add' information).
Ok, I now understand that my TV can show anything at or below 720p.

3. Again confused, but I'm sure its ok, whether you are utilizing their full quality or not is still up in the air until further clairification on what you are asking.

What I am saying is I have about 4 things using composite right now. I use this box with the black cord (I believe it is coaxial or something like that) going out that allows me to choose which game system/dvd player to show at that time. I am guessing it lowers the quality because it is using such a basic connection to get to the tv.

4. Because things are filmed in different aspect ratios. So some 'widescreen' shows and movies are actually much more widescreen than others. Like 1.86:1 vs something like 2.35:1 That 1.86 might fit without bars, but 2.35:1 will still have bars. 16:9 is a popular widescreen for TV.

Ahhh, I get it. So it just depends on the movie.

You're set has HDTV has 720p - HDMI 1080i - HDMI (both video and audio are digital)

Are you 100% sure? I got on best buys website and it said that it only had 720p. I know nothing about HDMI, though.

Your set also has SDTV 480i and 480p using component video (red/blue/green) analog type for video, you then would use either digital coax or digital optical toshlink fiber cable.

HUH?

BTW...

What did you pay for that set? The reason why I am asking I got my hands on Wal-Mart flyer for November they have the RCA 26" HDTV going for $378 bucks!
I payed $449 at Best Buy, and it really is a good TV. It would have been 200 higher if it hadn't been a display. My grandma just got her a VIZIO (GREAT, btw) 32". Looks GREAT.

mopar man said:
What I am saying is I have about 4 things using composite right now. I use this box with the black cord (I believe it is coaxial or something like that) going out that allows me to choose which game system/dvd player to show at that time. I am guessing it lowers the quality because it is using such a basic connection to get to the tv.
Yes, going to coax will kill the quality. At the very least pick up some RCA splitters (Y or V shaped cables probably) that way you can make 2 components into 1 component input.

For your response to tipstir's comment. You are right, HDMI will do 720p-1080p (and higher probably, but thats besides the point now), but if your tv only does 720p it doesn't matter which cables you use, you'll be limited to 720p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back