Inspiration 5160 Audio driver issues

By BorisD
Dec 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all, this is amongs my first posts, so let me say ola!

ok, my problem:

I have just purchased aused inspiration 5160 laptop (dell). And as anything used (and sometimes new), its far from trouble less.

I am having amongst another majour issue, a problem with my sound system. When i tried installing a sound driver
    "SigmaTel C-Major Audio Driver
    SIGMATEL - Driver
    Applies to:
    STAC 9750 AC97"
    I get the following error:
    "Device object not present, restart the system and run the setup again"

Any sugestions?
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Where did you get the driver from?
  3. BorisD

BorisD Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

dell support website. than i got the same driver on multiple websites, same issue. OS running is Windows xp Pro SP2
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

It may be worth booting into safe mode then checking device manager to see if there are any faild audio drivers present then.
  5. BorisD

Thanks allot, i will check it right now.
  6. BorisD

booting into safe mode, didnt show any failed audio drivers in the device manager.

Any ideas?
  7. BorisD

Folowup:
    I have tried installing vista (under the assumption that something would be diffrent) and the exact same problem occurs. audio driver displays the same error, meanwhile no soung comes out.
  8. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r90698.

Does this file exist on your computer?

I can't remember for sure but I have seen this error before and I think there was a patch from microsoft that is not listed on their site.

And lastly, this is going to sound weird, if your laptop has a modem test it - sometimes it won't recognize the onboard sound if there is a bad modem
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.