Inspiron 2200 Video Memory

By brownmag25
Aug 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. I know there are no video upgrades for this type of computer but i thought it was possible to go into the BIOS and changed my video memory. The laptop has an intergrated GPU and I want to know if it is possible to tell it to use more memory for Video than 8MB. Anything on this topic will help it doesnt have to do with the BIOS i just want to know if there is anyway i can change the video settings in BIOS or anywhere else.
  2. sw123

sw123 Newcomer, in training Posts: 752

|There is no way to change video memory. Sorry :(
  3. brownmag25

brownmag25 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

anyway at all I can increase my computers performance while playing games like Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament??
  4. nickslick74

nickslick74 Newcomer, in training Posts: 883

Depending on what you already have in the laptop, more memory may be beneficial. That would depend on what processor you have too, though. If you have celeron then more memory isn't gonna help much. If you have a P4 more memory (like 1GB total) may help speed thing up some. But don't expect a huge increase either way, you would still have only 8MB free for video memory.
  5. brownmag25

Yaaa I got a Celeron M with 504 memory. I dont know how much you know about Dell Inspirons but is there a way I can update or do something to the BIOS so it will let me edit my system settings. I know a lot of Dells have password protected BIOS and if i could get past it then maybe I could change my video memory.
  6. nickslick74

nickslick74 Newcomer, in training Posts: 883

7. brownmag25

So even if i some how get into my BIOS and am able to change my system settings I still wont be able to change my video memory because it is hardwired. I thought it uses the memory from the whole computer so why couldnt I tell it to use more?
  8. sw123

You can get more memory with Dell, and since your card is integrated, an extra 128 MB should do it. Check out http://www.dell.com for some memory.
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

laptops generally aren't designed for gaming.
  10. sw123

Not true

Not true. Designed correctly the Dell XPS is perfect for gaming.
  11. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

you didn't read what I said - I said GENERALLY. and personally, I can't really see a valid reason to GAME on a laptop anyway. Upgrade abilities are limited.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.