Inspiron 6000 ATI Mobility Radeon X300 driver for Windows 7 found

Status
Not open for further replies.
fyi -I Installed Windows 7 32-bit Home version on Saturday. Windows 7 installed a generic VGA drive for the ATI Mobility Radeon X300 video card.

Two days of struggles with trying to find a driver that would install - my performance rating overall was 1.0 due to the generic VGA driver. I visited the Dell and ATI's websites - tried to install several upgrades from ATI's site - nothing worked or installed.

Then this evening I went into the Windows Automatic updates, and there downloaded just today on my PC, was the X300 driver for my 32-bit version of Windows 7. I installed the update, now the performance rating on this old laptop is 3.1. (I have a 60 gb hard drive and expanded RAM to 2 GB) Aero works great.

The Windows 7 automatic update installed today was:
ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATIMOBILITY RADEON X300

Good Luck.

insprion6000 and win7

great to hear that you found the driver..I havnt bought win7 yet for my I6000 ..did you have any other issues with your install of win7? any other driver problem? any info you can give me would be very helpfull...thanks

Only other Win7 installation issue was network related

When I installed the Window 7 upgrade, I only had the wireless network activated. Windows 7 did not recognize my wireless - so I had no network or internet connection until I took the I6000 downstairs and hooked it up to an ethernet cable, and booted it up, Win7 immediately recognized and installed the network and internet. Wireless now works fine, as does the ethernet.

The sound card also had a driver problem - I don't know if that's fixed yet - low priority for me at this point. I'll check it and let you know.

Sound now works

Went to Dell's driver website for the Inspiron 6000, downloaded the R99254 sound driver Sigmatel - after several attempts it installed, now shows the device as working (sigmatel C-Major Audio). Sound tested fine.

Good luck. I now have all driver loaded - I'm very satisfied with performance of
Windows 7 on the Inspiron 6000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back