TechSpot

Install Windows without CD or Floppy drive

By bomber227
May 16, 2007
  1. Okay. I have 1 hard drive and 3 partitions.

Partition1-DELLUTILITY(*)
    Partition2-my main hard drive(c:)
    Partiton3:hard drive i use for media(e:)

I am currently running Windows XP on C:. I want to also run Windows 2000 on my computer, while still having XP as an option, or a dual boot. My CD drive and Floppy drive both do not function, so I downloaded a Win2k ISO image and want to install it from my hard drive. I've already downloaded

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

CD and floppy drives are cheap. Save your pennies and buy a new CD/DVD combo burner. It will save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run

3. bomber227

bomber227 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes. But I'm too fat and lazy to do that. I'd much rather sit on my *** and do it all from my computer.

4. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,423   +7

lol

It's impossible to have a PC without a working cdrom and floppy drive.
    Good luck .I wonder what your next problem post will be.Maybe,
    "Help it keeps asking for the cd ":zzz:

5. bomber227

**** you. Just because I'm not as advanced as you doesn't mean you have to flame me. You little jerkoff.

6. MMDominator88

MMDominator88 TS Rookie Posts: 152

I have an .ISO file of Windows XP corporate edition with SP2. I can maybe e-mail it to you if the server can handle over 2 Gb of one file................

7. bomber227

ok. sure. but im looking to install windows 2000, remember

8. Tmagic650

How would you open the ISO file to install it, without first burning the ISO image to a bootable CD?

9. MMDominator88

You would use daemon tools and use it as a virtual CD image !

BUT, I don't have an .ISO of the Windows 2000..........

10. Tmagic650

Use Daemon Tools without an Operating System installed? How? You burn an ISO image of Windows 2000 Pro to a hard drive then burn this ISO image to a bootable CD and normally boot the computer off this CD right? How can you start the install from a clean hard drive without a CD Drive? Network boot?

11. MMDominator88

bomber 227 said he has windows XP already installed, correct ? and he had downloaded a windows 2k iso image file right ?

12. Tmagic650

So bomber227 just has to click on the win 2k ISO file to install it? I have never done this. I have run across a few laptops that I could have used this trick on, but of course, the customers wanted a working CD or CD/DVD R/W installed

13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

No more help on illegally obtained versions of Windows.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.