Installed XP SP3, Windows Update not working, safe to browse?

davidflynn12

Just reinstalled xp home sp2 on my desktop. Downloaded sp3 and installed ok. Windows updates will not work either before or after sp3. Infact it crashes the computer. when I reboot ; I get freezing again. The only way to resolve this is too reinsatll sp2 and then sp3. So I am going to leave at sp3 until I get sp3 pro installed. I have avast av and zone fw installed. So is it safe to browse in the mean time using firefox not IE? I understand to safley browse in windows, one needs a good av, fw plus a updated windows system or is having a updated os really needed?

In updates from MS every month there are always some 'critical' ones that nobody should ignore. However, only XPsp3 and later gets them. So yes, having an updated OS is a must.
Having said that, firefox is safer than IE in the main, and an AV and firewall are as much as you should ever need, provided they are kept up-to-date. Also Adobe and Java software is notorious for bugs. Keep updates going on Flash, acrobat, pdf reader, java also.

Just checking but did you activate your installation of Windows XP yet? If not, do so and then see if Windows Update will work.

I seem to remember this same issue at one point. I think you need to install windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe before it'll start working. Try searching for it on microsoft's site.

Update the Explorer. Then it will send you to windows update page .That will let install the latest update agent

Back