Installing Dell Windows xp pro on different computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

exile0518

Hi, I tried searching for this simiar topic, but did not find any good answers.

I purchased a window xp pro brand new through email...
yet, when i recieved it, it was dell version.

It did not say anything in description when I bought it but
I can't return them now cuz I opened it... haha.. my stupid mistake....

So I don't know what to do. If I can install them on my
newly build computer than i will be happy but
if not then I am thinking maybe i can use cdkey only atleast!!!!!!!

please help me

Dell software, and Dell Windows will only install on a Dell with a Dell motherboard.
Just because you opened it, may not be a reason not to return it. Look carefully at the promises made, then insist on a return if you were deceived. They may have violated some standards by selling it to you. Or they might not have known it would not work.

How much did you pay.

you have to find out if the key is oem or retail, and get the correct xp disc. Since it's a dell disc most likely it's oem.

I built my present computer all on my lonesome; it doesn't have a Dell part in it (I am using a Dell flatpannel but it was installed much later after the build) and I am using Dell-branded XP-PRO and it works just fine. The only material difference I have found after two years is that System File Checker (SFC) will not run properly unless I put a MS version CDROM of XPPRO in the cd tray. I have even had to reinstall the Dell version (twice) and contact MS for a new key, which they provided after I explained my reason for the reinstall. The layout of the Dell version is a little different than MS, but it still works.

First I purchased it through ebay.
Seller did not wrote anything about dell version or what.
Did not even mentioned name DELL!

Yet, as I said, I opened. It was sealed. I didn't like returning things because
I have to ship it and stuff, so I was trying to check for any words that I can use it on non- Dell Pc. haha ( I was stupid).

I want to return it but I don't think seller will let me return it cause i opened it, even it was his mistake not mentioning dell in his description.

I did get cd key. yet disk says Reinstallation CD Microsoft Win xp pro sp2

I was thinking if I can use the cd key and borrow microsoft pro from someone else. Then everything will be okay haha.. hope so....

had no experience in "reinstallation", so don't know what to tell you. Try copying it to desk top and trying it from there.

Is the disc grey, blue, maroon, or pale yellow-green as issued by Dell, or did it arrive with the multicolored Microsoft disc, and a Microsoft sticker. It can be a Microsoft disk and be sold by Dell. That one will work anywhere, on any motherboard. but if it is blue, grey, blue, maroon, or a yellow green, it is issued by Dell only for Dell motherboard.

If it installs on a non-Dell motherboard, with that product key, you are legal. If it says OEM, you are legal. If it reports Upgrade you are legal. If it reports Full Version, you are legal.

Only if it will not install on a non-Dell motherboard do you have a problem.

Microsoft holds the official position that the license dies with the motherboard...

Damn... my disc is ellow-green, I guess I can't use this disc to install windows xp pro haha.... damn...

but raybay, are you saying I can borrow someone else's windows xp pro and use the new cd key that came with my dell ver win xp and will work out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back