Installing iOS 12.1.2 might break cellular data, calling, and messaging

Greg S

Facepalm: Basic functions of a smartphone should include the ability to make and receive phone calls, use messaging services, and have access to high speed internet via cellular networks. Apple's latest iOS update has broken those key features for many users.

Last week Apple released iOS 12.1.2 for the iPhone, but had some trouble along the way. Just days after releasing the initial build, a second build was pushed out to replace the first, changing only the build number, not incrementing the well recognized version number.

The main fixes of iOS 12.1.2 are intended to solve problems associated with eSIM support on the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max. Ironically, the update is also supposed to resolve issues with cellular connectivity for residents of Turkey. However, users across the world have been reporting issues with cellular data following the update.

iPhone owners located in Europe, Asia, and South America have all taken to Twitter to tell Apple their phones are no longer able to use LTE data. In North America, United States residents have been heavily affected.

Many users have reported that they are unable to make phone calls and some have been unable to send or receive text messages. A select few iPhone users have also had problems with WiFi connectivity as well running iOS 12.1.2.

Quite frankly, the roll out of this latest rendition of iOS to iPhone owners has been a bit of a mess. Apple Support has not yet publicly acknowledged the problems that prevent iPhones from being used as actual phones.

For those affected by issues with calling, messaging, and cellular data use of any kind, rest assured that iOS 12.1.3 is not far away. Even though another revision is likely more focused on avoiding further iPhone bans internationally than fixing user issues, Apple will hopefully toss in some patches as well.

If you have not upgraded to iOS 12.1.2 yet, it would be best to sit this one out until Apple decides to acknowledge or at least fix the problems.

Permalink to story.

This release was hurriedly pushed out in order to make iPhones not use proprietary Qualcomm tech after a coup,e of courts delivered injunctions against Apple.... shockingly, it went bad....

Before updating any OS, you really ought to research a bit.... and never do it quickly!

This release was hurriedly pushed out in order to make iPhones not use proprietary Qualcomm tech after a coup,e of courts delivered injunctions against Apple.... shockingly, it went bad....

Before updating any OS, you really ought to research a bit.... and never do it quickly!

Well unfortunately Apple doesn't give you a choice on upgrading or not if you try and do an icloud restore or restore from itunes to a newly obtained phone.

I just completed a roll out of 1k iphone 8 devices and could go on for days about the crap apple does that pisses me off.

Seriously is this the future of OS updates from Apple and Microsoft? I have a hard time believing they are not being held responsible, for all the headaches they are creating.

What ever happened to consumer protection?

Well unfortunately Apple doesn't give you a choice on upgrading or not if you try and do an icloud restore or restore from itunes to a newly obtained phone.

I just completed a roll out of 1k iphone 8 devices and could go on for days about the crap apple does that pisses me off.
Actually, they are still signing 12.1.1, so it’s a simple matter of downloading the firmware to your pc and selecting it when restoring from iTunes.

You can even downgrade to 12.1.1 if you accidentally upgraded by using iTunes as well... google the exact method - it’s not hard :)

I installed this version of iOS a week ago and restarted my phone once to fix a problem since—the phone wouldn’t rotate with rotation lock off. No real issues on my 6S.

Unrelated: my phone is 1.5 years old. I just replaced the battery because it was $30 (only normal battery degradation). I hope to make this phone last for quite a while because it’s worked great for me.

I’ve concluded I can no longer continue with Apple. I’m a dance instructor and rely on music to do my job. After successive iOS upgrades, my iTunes library has gone from 4,749 songs to 1,865. I don’t have time to spend making and reloading backups of songs, and reconstructing playlists that have been gutted repeatedly. Many of my friends, business associates, and I, are slowly extricating ourselves from Apple products.

Since the update, my 6s goes into no sim mode after a couple of hours. I saw the available update and applied it right away just in time for all the post-update problems and articles to surface on the internet.

Plain old restarts worked until today, when I had to physically remove the sim tray and re-insert it. It's working fine as of now (fingers crossed). While I do feel bad for all us consumers facing this, I also feel bad for the people working at Apple right now during Christmas and new year's time. (if they're working that is ;) )

I'm not an Apple user and I'm always wondering why do their new OS versions have so many bugs?? People pay too much money for a simple mobile phone and then they have to have troubles using it.. Very strange. I have Xiaomi phone and I never had any problems with updates. Everything works perfectly and updates are really cool. If you don't know it's a very cheap brand. Why can it happen?

I’ve concluded I can no longer continue with Apple. I’m a dance instructor and rely on music to do my job. After successive iOS upgrades, my iTunes library has gone from 4,749 songs to 1,865. I don’t have time to spend making and reloading backups of songs, and reconstructing playlists that have been gutted repeatedly. Many of my friends, business associates, and I, are slowly extricating ourselves from Apple products.

Go to 'settings' app, then 'music' and then find setting called 'optimize storage' under downloads section. Turning this off to probably fixing your problem. I hoping this help you friend.

Actually, they are still signing 12.1.1, so it’s a simple matter of downloading the firmware to your pc and selecting it when restoring from iTunes.

You can even downgrade to 12.1.1 if you accidentally upgraded by using iTunes as well... google the exact method - it’s not hard :)

Yeah it's not hard for you and me, but for standard users it's far from easy and just another step to get frustrated with. I feel like I need to buy our service desk lunch for a week after the hell they had to go through supporting field reps with Apple upgrades.

Back