Installing New Video Card Help

By Ossett
Jun 20, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just picked up a new 7600GT and power supply, got the power supply installed alright, but need help with the video card.

It's got a power socket on the card itself with 6 pins ( it's AGP not PCI - E) and in the box came a Y shaped cord with two 4-pin power sockets leading to one 6-pin connector.

Just need to know if I should attach two 4-pin power connectors to the Y or just one, don't want to burn out my new video card. Fast replies would be highly appreciated, thanks :)
  2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

are both 4 pin connectors the same because if they're different then it means that you can plug something else onto the other end so effectively you don't lose a power connector
  3. Ossett

Ossett Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

I didn't think of that, yes they're identical, does that mean I should just connect one of the sockets - that the purpose of of the Y is just to help people who are short on connectors?
  4. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Did you not receive some paperwork with that card describing installation?
  5. Ossett

Ossett Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

Yer but it only described software installation and the driver cd wasn't very clear either. I was just in too much of a rush to read through things properly :)

Anyway everything is working now, thanks Dave
  6. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

that's alright mate, don't worry about it, it's what we're all here for :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.