Installing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy!

I'm a complete newbie round here, but was hoping someone could help me out. I have an HP-Compaq PC, running Windows XP, and currently have 256MB of RAM, so you can imagine the speed I'm whizzing along at...

Anywho, I tried to rectify that by buying me some more ram, 1 lovely gig of the stuff.

But I've had a few problems installing it!

First I just stuck it in the first empty slot, computer didn't like this, just got beeps, which seem to have meant, "don't put bigger ram in this slot"

So I tried it on its own in the first slot, turned computer on, and i get windows xp loading screen, but then the screen just goes black when the logon screen should appear.

Both my old ram module and new ones are DDR PC2700.

Any ideas would be much appreciated as hardware isn't really my area!

Go to www.crucial.com and look up your system on there and see what they say about what ram is good for it.

I wouldn't buy the ram from them as they are expensive, but their database is very good, i have tested it thoroughly, even with some really old motherboards and their results have been 100% accurate so far.

Check your documentation. It might be unlikely but maybe 1GB is over the maximum supported by your motherboard. I have an older Dell (circa 1998 or 1999) that has a supported maximum of 768MB of RAM.

Crucial tells me-

Currently Installed Memory: 256 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1

So they recommend-
DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

All I know about what I've got is-

1GB DDR PC 2700 128x64 HIGH DENSITY DDR

Again, all help much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.