Installing SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I need a bit of help with installing 120GB western Digital HDD. I've connected the SATA cable and changed the CMOS setting to enhanced mode as i've IDE 80gb seagate barracuda hooked up on the same pc. by the way my motherboard is AOPEN AX4SPE-UN. When i try to boot up it says disk boot failure. when I changed the jumper settings of IDE HDD it boots from cdrom and attempts to install Windows2000 but on the second screen that is when it says Windoows2000 loads setup, it halts for about 2 mins and says unmountable boot volume and when I repeat it doen't boot at all.
channel 0 master: none
channel0 slave : seagate HDD
channel 1 IDE: pioneer dvdrom
channel 2 Master: Western digital 120gb HDD

Thanks for any help

baz

just wondering if u solved ur problem with setting up ur s-ata hdd
if so i have a similar issue, the problems are as follows i have a 250gb s-ata diamond max10 hdd my motherboard is a msi 875p neo fisr2, my graphics card is a geforce 5200 128mb
a pioneer 16speed dvdrw+-
an external 12in1 card reader
a lg 52*24*52 cdrw
any hlp would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Baz

sounds like you moved the original boot device
and windows boot ini file can't find it
the bios first boot and the ini file should match up
like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\mandrake1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\mandrake1="Linux operation boot K" /fastdetect..........
and so on

SATA HDDs and WinXP

Did anything come of this thread?

I cannot install WinXP to my SATA Maxtor DiamondMax 10 drive. I am using the correct drivers I think (came with the mobo), and BIOS detects the drive OK although it is a bit complex. I have tried both the Intel controller and the Promise one without any success. I can use the drive in winXP but not install windows to it. Windows setup claims the disk is inaccessible.

MOBO: 865PE Neo2 FISR with Intel 2600
Drive: Maxtor 10 300GB /16MB cache

clues???

Martin.

I've recently bought a 250gb SATA drive by mistake. I looked into it and I think I'm gonna stick with it and get it to work with one of the PC's that I have in the house. I don't have any boards at this point that have onboard SATA so I'm gonna need to get a PCI SATA card. Any suggestions as to which one(s) I should look into to? I'm not sure which PC I'd like to put it in but at this point I'm thinking of installing it in a Dell Dimension 3000. Otherwise the other machine thats a possibility at this point is a Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS with and Xtasy Video card. I've read some senario's that SATA needed to be ran in pairs. Is that true? Do I need to get another 250gb HD to run with this one?

SATA hard drives can be run singly. I have a WD 250GB Caviar SATA HD that I'm running by itself as my only hd.

oh good. thats good news. I think I must have been reading about Raid set ups at the same time. Any suggestion on which manufacturer to look at?

Maxtor vs. Western digital (WD)(in general)

Maxtor's drives are quieter but WD's drives are more reliable (although they are a bit louder but it's not a big problem, I wouldn't worry about the noise.)

Didn't you say you already bought one? Anyway, I'm happy with my Western Digital. WD SATA drives can be used with a proprietary "Secureconnect" cable or any standard SATA data cable. You also have the choice of using either the SATA power connectors or the standard 4 pin molex connectors from the power supply. Just more flexibility.

Does the power hookup make a difference in performance? I have some the ones from the power supply available to use. Yes I did buy one already. Its a 250gb HD. 8mb cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back