Installing software in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrackedButter

I am using Suse 8.1 on my laptop. I use it for college, typing and other work like compiling java, when i was using windows.

Can somebody show me how they can install an SDK?

The instructions on Suns website don't cut if with me, being a n00b and all to this.

Lets start by saying i have the SDK sitting on my desktop, whats the next step? The SDK is a bin file.

Another issue i have with installing software is mozilla and licq, this is for my desktop machine. licq is for version 8.0 of suse, which i am sure will work with 8.1, the file is an rpm and mozilla is a gz file.
I've read the readme on the gz file btw.

Lets also assume i know nothing of the command line. :)

rpms are installed with:

rpm -Uvh filename.rpm

where "filename.rpm" is the name of the file.

Any errors post them back here.

The tar.gz file is probably installed like this:

unpack it first:

tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz

unpacks to a directory, change dir into that directory:

cd filename

now there will be an INSTALL file or README file, read it like this:

more INSTALL

or

more README

it will tell you what to do. Its more than likely going to be something along the lines of:

./configure
make
make install

Remember that these operations will require you to become root. Either log in as root or "su" to root with the "su" command.

Originally posted by CrackedButter
Can somebody show me how they can install an SDK?

The instructions on Suns website don't cut if with me, being a n00b and all to this.

Lets start by saying i have the SDK sitting on my desktop, whats the next step? The SDK is a bin file.
Open up terminal (command line window) and start the bin file by going to that directory (changing directories is done with cd command, note that directory delimiter is /, not \ like in non-alternative OSs), whatever it is (it might be easier to move the file to your home directory), simply by typing ./j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin or whatever the filename is. It's a self-extracting installer which installs Java SDK in a directory named j2sdk1.4.1_<version number> in the current directory.

As a side note, i installed Licq on my system, at this time i have not been able to get it to work. I click on it in the menu and the flower icon appears then after a period of time, everything just disappears. Is there something i can do to get this to work?

This is the version of licq that i said should work on suse 8.1 when licq is for version 8.0! :)

Try starting licq from command line - applications usually display some information there if something goes wrong.

meltedbutter@linux:~> licq
13:24:14: [WRN] Licq: Ignoring stale lockfile (pid 3148)
13:24:14: [ERR] Unable to load plugin (qt-gui): /usr/local/lib/licq/licq_qt-gui.so: undefined symbol: __ti7QDialog.

Thats what i get when i type "licq"

Those licq problems seem like wrong QT version, though I'm not 100% sure. I guess SuSE ChangeLog doesn't show those details. Hmm.. one option would be downloading licq source and doing the "./configure, make, make install"-dance.

Uptime command is uptime, w displays a bit more information, too.

I hardly ever bother with RPMs myself, its meant to make things easy but it leans towards complications for me always.... I tend to always download the source code and ./configure, make, make install, etc...

Originally posted by Phantasm66
I hardly ever bother with RPMs myself, its meant to make things easy but it leans towards complications for me always.... I tend to always download the source code and ./configure, make, make install, etc...

While i can understand your method, is this the better way for someone like myself?

Is it not harder?

Well, not really much harder when you realise that its like the same set of 6 or so commands in 95% of cases....

Its certainly more likely to work if you do it properly....

Okay i have the tar file unzipped and its inside a folder i create called "licq", thats sitting on the desktop. Whats the next stage now?

you can give me the instructions for mozilla as well if you want since that is also in a folder extracted from the tar file.

open a command prompt
navigate to the directory that you just untarred.

The desktop is probably not the best place - I would suggest a "download" directory in your home directory in which you can untar files.

Your desktop will be something like .gnome-desktop or .desktop or something directory in your home directory.

Once inside, consult the INSTALL file, which you can read by entering the following command:

more INSTALL

or it may be called README, thus:

more README

Anyway, there will be simple instructions. Read and follow those, but its very likely to be:

./configure
make
make install

which is it for about 95% of software out there in this form.

There are 4 README files each explaining an issue hte software has with clients and servers whatever. But there are 2 makefile files. Are these what you mean?

Also can you explain what you mean by this:

"./configure
make
make install"

sound silly and its probably why it isn't working but when i fire up the console all i get is:"meltedbutter@linux:~>"

I thought it might be like DOS where if you open a command prompt in a folder it would automatically give the folders location all typed out. <<< edited.

Okay so nobody bothered to tell me i should have the terminal icon on the knoqeuerer menu bar.
I've added it now myself and its added the location for me.

Damn, just realised i am not in root.

Is this not a catch 22, i have to do this in root but i am asking for advice while on the net and i'm not supposed to be doing that am i?

okay this is what i get in the terminal:

linux:/home/meltedbutter/Download/Licq/licq-1.2.0a # ./configure
loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
linux:/home/meltedbutter/Download/Licq/licq-1.2.0a #

While i am at it, anybody know how to copy an paste this text into another text box without having to drag it all the time? I notice there is a paste function on the terminal menu but no copy function.

Anyway, i type "make" and i then get this:bash: make: command not found

If you want command line to display the directory path before the prompt, you need to edit a hidden file in your home directory, .bashrc or .profile.
Add a line

export PS1='$PWD>'

there and you're done. However, I'm not sure if terminals started inside GUI use it..

Those errors you're getting mean you haven't installed a C/C++ compiler - SuSE may have something like "development tools" or something you should install.

The reason I sound a bit vague is that it's been a while since I used Linux and when I did, it was a version made from scratch, not a big distribution like Red Hat or SuSE.

You can do stuff as root by using su command when you're logged in as a normal user.

bah i have installed how ever many compilers there are. I'll try again.
This is what i get:

linux:/home/meltedbutter/Download/Licq/licq-1.2.0a # make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

okay with the "su" command, its quite neat and saves a load of time, thanks!

life is a little easyier now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back