TechSpot

Installing software on ASUS Eee (no cd-rom)

By bettyboop911
Apr 22, 2009
  1. Hi. Am thinking of purchasing an ASUS Eee, but want to install Microsoft Office 2007 and Money 2005 on it (both on Cd's). Can these 2 programs be copied onto a USB drive and done that way?

Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,927   +167

You could try doing this. No way you could borrow a external USB CD/DVD drive?

3. bettyboop911

bettyboop911 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 52

I guess that would make my life easier. I assume I buy any generic portable CD player that's compatible with PC with a USB on it?

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Yep, just go ask down at your local computer shop or even large electrical\computer shop (too many shopping center names to mention :D) and grab an External DVD Drive (USB connection)

I say DVD but you may as well get DVD R\W that way you can use it to burn discs as well :grinthumb

5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

An alternative is to buy an external 5.25" enclosure and install the DVD/CD optical drive of your choice. You can get enclosures that support IDE or SATA optical drives and use a USB, firewire or HDMI interface or some combination of them. I have a USB enclosure that I used to install the OS of my most recent mid-tower system build.

7. account73

account73 TS Rookie Posts: 65

Do you have another computer ?
    If so you could always share the CD drive on that computer and then access it from your asus.
    Would be the cheapest way..thats if actualy have another comp =)

8. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie Posts: 33

bettyboop911, I think you can copy data from cd/dvd on USB flash drive, and install it on you eeeePC.
    this easy 8) imho.
    you can download cd/dvd image or installation files from internet.. if can.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.