Installing the operating system

Hello everyone. Im in need of a solution in installing a OS. I recently came along a semi new computer that had a bent pin on the CPU. The pin kept the machine from working properly. After repairing this bent pin the machine now boots up the way it should. However now im noticing that the built in VGA port is not sending the signal to the monitor. Every time I connect to the port the monitor indicates it will shut down in 5 seconds.I inserted a new video card into one of the slots and when I connect the monitor it sends a signal and keeps the monitor on as if it wants to work but there is no video because I assume the video drivers are not installed *since no OS is installed either* So I know the machine is functional except for the built in VGA port on the mother board.

I want to get this machine working so here is my question. Is there anyway to pull out the hard drive from this project, connect it to a functioning machine, such as the one im using right now to write this, and install the OS for the new machine so I can install the drivers for the new video card and get this running.

Help me oh gurus of computer wisdom!

~ Lord Maverick

When you power on the machine there should be a signal to the monitor which will give the BIOS 'flash' page and then at least give you the option to enter the CMOS/BIOS settings. If you are getting nothing and you know the monitor and the signal cable are both good, then there is a fault with the board. The 5 second shut-down message may be generated by the monitor itself so is not a message from the motherboard.

@Lord M - Also generally, installing any OS on a motherboard/HDD combination and then expecting it to work in another combination of motherboard/same HDD is not usually successful (unless the motherboards in question are the same make and model). There will be differences in all the motherboard drivers. Sometimes you can get lucky and find the new setup will actually run (especially in safe mode) well enough so that you can continue and load the correct motherboard drivers for the new machine.

On top of this, you need a retail OS install as you cannot very often use an OEM install DVD or whatever on a different motherboard than the one you bought it for.

What you are asking to do is almost always a bad idea, and as @gbhall says, generally doesn't work. If you are having problems with outputting video, getting an OS installed on another machine and transplanting it to the one you are having issues with is not going to fix the problem. These aren't driver issues, it almost certainly is what @AlbertLionheart said and is a CMOS/BIOS/EFI setting. Modern boards should automatically detect another video card and use that output, so I'm a bit concerned that your board isn't as healthy as you suggest.

If you have problems after manually setting the output to a real card vs onboard I would replace (preferably RMA if you can) the board.

Assuming you want to install a Windows O/S, the software will be linked to the hardware of various parts of the hardware system as it is installed, so that changing the hard drive over to a different PC when complete, is almost certain not to work.
It sounds as if you do have onboard (integrated) video, that will be default setting if you have no other video card installed (auto-detect set).
One thing you can try, is to remove the BIOS battery for a minute, fit it again and boot PC. You should see the BIOS brand at the top of screen, if board is OK.

Back