Installing Win XP Pro on SATA RAID while having drives in IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

milnet

I am trying to install Windows XP pro on SATA RAID. The trick comes in where I want my SATA drive to be drive C while my IDE drive to be on drive D. My motherboard is Asus A7N8X-E and the RAID controller is Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid.

Any ideas?

:blackeye:

milnet said:
I am trying to install Windows XP pro on SATA RAID. The trick comes in where I want my SATA drive to be drive C while my IDE drive to be on drive D. My motherboard is Asus A7N8X-E and the RAID controller is Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid.

Any ideas?

:blackeye:
This is a copy of the installation procedures from your motherboard install disk that came with your motherboard. It will boot from a CD Rom, so make sure you set your first boot device to the CD. Hope this helps
--------------------------------------------------------
1) Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000/XP Fresh Installation
--------------------------------------------------------
Follow the instructions in this section if you are performing a new
installation of Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000/XP, and you wish to
boot from a device attached to the SiI 3112 controller.

1. Power off the system. Connect the hard drives to the SiI 3112
controller and insert the controller into a PCI slot. Power up
the system.

2. Put your Windows NT/2000/XP CD into the CD-ROM/DVD drive, or
the NT/2000/XP boot diskette #1 in the floppy drive if your
system cannot boot from the CD.

3. Press F6 for third party SCSI or driver installation at the beginning
of text mode installation. Press 's' when setup asks if you want to
specify an additional device, and insert the diskette labeled
'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Driver Installation Disk' .

Press 'Enter' and select
'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller'

4. Press 'Enter' to continue on with text mode setup.

5. Follow the setup instructions to select your choice for
partition and file system.

6. After setup examines your disks, it will copy files to
Windows 2000 installation folders and restart the system.
The setup program will continue and finish the installation
after restart.

7. Wait until Windows 2000 finishes installing devices, regional
settings, networking settings, components, and final set of
tasks, reboot the system if it is required.

8. See instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

Hi Yourm8e

Thanks for that. I have tried that but I am unable to get the HD on the Raid to read as drive C. I have tried unplugging the drive on IDE 0 and then installing on the Raid. The problem is then that when I plug the IDE back in the system then wants to boot off the IDE and therefore does not boot.

I have even tried disabling all boot devices and leaving the boot of other device enables but it still tries to boot off the IDE.

Do you know of anyway of making the system just boot of the Raid?

Thanks for the help.

milnet said:
Hi Yourm8e

Thanks for that. I have tried that but I am unable to get the HD on the Raid to read as drive C. I have tried unplugging the drive on IDE 0 and then installing on the Raid. The problem is then that when I plug the IDE back in the system then wants to boot off the IDE and therefore does not boot.

I have even tried disabling all boot devices and leaving the boot of other device enables but it still tries to boot off the IDE.

Do you know of anyway of making the system just boot of the Raid?

Thanks for the help.
See if this applies to you https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17715.html

Thanks. After reading that thread what I think I need to do is update my bios to the latest revision. It sounds like the latest revision allows you to set the Raid as a boot device. I will give a try and let you know.

Thanks for all the help.

I have managed to figure it out. When installing Win XP Pro you are taken though the partition manager. All you do is add the partitions in the order that you want the c, d and e drives to be. So, if I wanted my SATA drive to be c drive then all I needed to do is add that partition first and then the others.

I could kick myself at such a simple solution.

I have another prob now. My d drive (IDE 0) is a 160 gig Seagate 7200 rpm's but Windows reads it as 137 436 168 192 bytes where all my other drives read to their full capacity. My SATA drive is 250 gigs and it reads as 250 ... ... ... bytes and my 120 gig reads as 120 ... ... ... gigs. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks for all your help.

Where is this install disk??

Those instructions would really be nice if I could find the and insert the diskette labeled
'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Driver Installation Disk' . I have it on cd but windows won't allow me to look there. I looked in folder and of course its not there either where to find this installation disk

Boot form sata raid

I want to boot from a raid drive virtually the same thing as in this thread. In fact I have nearly the same mother board.

Did everything work out with this installation?

Using one CD Rom drive for installation, when windows installation ask if I have a 3rd party raid driver Can I change from the xp install cd to the mobo cd that includes the raid driver and and go to the driver directory?

I downloaded a copy of the driver from Asus.

What is a stiffy?

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back