Installing Windows 10 on a virtual machine

GhzMatt

Hello,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 Tech Preview on a virtual machine, I'm using Oracle VM VirtualBox.
But I don't succeed in installing it... I keep get alround different errors.
The first time I tried it gave me an error saying it was meant to run on machines with more than 4GB of RAM, although it was a 32-bit version. So I tried with the 64-bit version thinking that would help, it didn't.

The last time I gave the 64-bit version more RAM (4GB) and 10GB of space on the HDD, which I think should be sufficient... I only want to test it, I'm not going to save any files on it...
Anyway, now it gives a completely different error (screenshot) saying:
"Your PC needs to restart. Please hold down the power button. Error code: 0x0000005D"

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I've installed virtual machines before: Windows, Linux and even Mac OS X... I've google'd the errors but since it's only just available I can't find any solution...

It shouldn't be that hard to install it on a virtual machine, perhaps it's not compatible with VirtualBox? But that isn't likely I think...

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Attachments

• Windows 10_error.png
    Windows 10_error.png
    11 KB · Views: 3
Both Windows 10 and the latest version of VirtualBox were just released to the public. At this time VirtualBox does not support Windows 10. There is a way to install Windows 10 however. In VirtualBox, create a Windows 2012 virtual machine and configure it accordingly. Windows 2012 is the server OS, but you can can install Windows 10 on it. As I write this I am looking at the Windows 10 Desktop. Installation and setup may be slow, but it works. I hope I was able to be of service to you.

Thank you for the advice!

I found out how to do it myself though :). I am using Windows 8.1 for the setup, and that seems to be working. Only the resolution isn't correct, you don't happen to have a solution for that?

I doesn't use the whole screen, and if I set it higher it is too big and I can't see the taskbar.

The initial screen resolution of Windows 10 may very on your physical setup and your virtual machine, ie. your monitor. I have a 24 inch widescreen monitor at 1920x1024. Virtual Box and Windows 10 will emulate a 4x3 screen. On my setup Windows 10 configures the screen resolution is 1024x768 and I can see everything. Windows 10 may have set this resolution for your setup as well. Try lowering screen resolution if possible. Another solution if you have access to a larger monitor, this may help as well. The Device manager in Windows 10 displays: Microsoft Basic Display, this due the fact that we are running in a Virtual Machine and VirtualBox will have a generic or basic Virtual Display Adapter. If your brave, you can look at virtual machine's settings and see if you can make changes there. You might also consider running your Virtual Machine in full screen mode instead of a Window. Good Luck. :)

Thanks for your reply. Sorry forgot to mention; problem is the same in both fullscreen and windowed mode :).

I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions, so I got the driver, but as I said I used Windows 8.1, so it'll probably be drivers for Win8.1...
I'm working on a laptop, and it has a 15.4" screen, with a max. resolution of 1366x768 so I think that's just insufficient to get it right... I checked settings of VirtualBox, Google'd the issue, but don't seem to find anything that helps.

I can access another monitor though, but this was just a minor detail, I guess I'll have to wait until VirtualBox gets it's new drivers :).

Thanks anyway!

PS: Do I need to close the thread? And if so, how do I do this? :) I'm new to this forum so...

Your laptop screen is adequate for Virtual Box to display an operating system. If you are willing to provide a screenshot of how Windows 10 is displayed on your screen. I might have one more suggestion, otherwise you have done everything I would have tried. As for closing threads. They never close. All forums are open so that anyone can jump into the conversation. Unfortunately you and I are the only ones on this thread. If anyone else joined in, perhaps we could have solved your problem. The threads are kept open so that when anybody has the same problem, they can see what tips have been contributed so far.

I have Windows 10 installed on a second RAID partition with Windows 7 Ultimate on another. Both OS"s run fine. Windows 10 like Windows 8.1 saw my wireless printer and all the motherboard drivers automatically

Great! Knowing this will definitely affect my decision of whether to buy Windows 10 or not when it becomes available. :)

Ok I see what you mean. The only solution is to raise the resolution of your laptop display (if its not set to the max already). Try using an External Display, or just wait until Virtual Box adds support for Windows 10. It looks like you have done everything you can do at this time. I apologize I could not be of further assistance.

As you said, my screen resolution is already set to max...
No problem, I think I'll just wait until VirtualBox supports Windows 10.

Indeed, VMWare isn't free I think... I might try the VHD too, if I find the time for it.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Back