installing windows 95 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantex_rox

I have a 1994 quantex microsystems 75mhz computer with 16mb of ram and a 6 gig hard drive, i cannot get it to install windows 95, it has no cd drive because it cannot support one, so i use the diskettes. It gets to where it says setup is getting the files needed for installation, but it freezes. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the hard drive, because it says it is FAT32 in fdisk, but when i go to install 95, it says i need to make a md-dos boot partition because i have NTFS or HPFS. So i make a ms-dos boot partiton. Maybe something wrong with the bios or the hard drive. I am thinking of putting the hard drive in a compaq 345mhz to install 98 on, and just swap it out maybe?

For some reason i have been obsessed with getting this old computer running.

You must use the FDisk on the W95 floppy to remove the existing partition(s), then FDisk again to create new partitions which do not exceed 2.2 Gb. Then shutdown, reboot, and format those partitions with the format option on that floppy as FAT32.
The W98 is a better choice. It will work fine on the Quantex, and the 6 GB drive, and will use the full 6.0 in one partition. You will possibly still need to Fdisk to remove the partition, then install one full partition, then reboot, and format.
Your Quantex should NOT give you trouble on the change to Windows 98 with the full partition. But if there are conflicts in setup between W95 and W98, you will sometimes need a Windows 98 Setup/Boot floppy disk to accomplish the tasks. Although the W95 floppys that were released a bit later in the W95 cycle will create the full partition for W98.

You can learn a lot about how things work rehabilitating an old PC, and it is sort of fun. Windows 95 is 15 years old, but the limitation on partition size is the only major problem.

I tried all that, and to no prevail. Still freezing during the beginning of setup. All of a sudden now it won't detect the hard drive in the bios. It show up in fdisk, though. I tried a 3 gig wdc hard drive i had in an old computer, and it detected that just fine. I checked my cd's stash, and i found i have a windows 2000 cd, and a windows 95 cd. I put that 3 gig in that compaq 345mhz, and tried to install 95 through that, nope. So i checked on microsoft's website, and the minimal requirements of windows 2000 is a 60mhz 80486, so i tried windows 2000. The compaq installed and ran that just fine, I took the hard drive out and put it in the quantex. Now, at the bios startup screen, it says "detecting primary HDD...ok" Then at the next screen, it says "disk read error, press crtl+alt+delete to restart". I put the hard drive back in the compaq, and it booted up just fine.

Im about to shoot this computer if it isn't a little more cooperative.

You cannot abitrarily move a Windows 2000 Professional install from one computer to another without conducting at least a repair install... You are bumping up against the Microsoft piracy issues, or the W2K is not SP2 or higher. You need to download and install all the service packs 1a, 2, 3, and 4 got for full use of W2K in another machine.
You also, perhaps, have a defective hard drive.

And WHy Wud you bother your self with all of that??
Get You A New pc man! Or atleast a decent one!
What Makes Windows 95 so fun??? iWudnt use that **** even if i get Paied to use it! lol

hmm... i still have my original Windows 95 CD.
and
i've installed windows 95 plenty of times looong back.
but seriously, windows 95 may not run well on a 75MHz computer. more likely Windows 3.1 will work.
but yeah you do need to install MS-DOS and the file partition must be FAT32 or FAT16 [FAT32 will do fine], as NTFS isnt supported even in Windows 98.
my advice:
plug the 6g HD in another computer, format it in FAT32 partition, run a full scandisk on it to check for bad sectors.
If all goes well, copy paste all the contents of windows 95 on the 6gigs HD... [i dunno if copy-paste will work but it's worth a shot since u r so obsessed with that computer]
Plug this HD back in your antique piece and install windows directly from the HD.
But yeah... make sure that MSDOS is installed. The HD must have some OS to load otherwise how will you access the drive or directory?
or use a Ghost Utility like Norton Ghost or something to install Windows 95 onto the computer.
Quantex_rox said:
I am thinking of putting the hard drive in a compaq 345mhz to install 98 on, and just swap it out maybe?
good option... swapping works for windows 95
so plug the 6gb HD in another computer [with CD support]. Install windows 95 onto the 6gb HD from that computer. Make sure the OS is loading properly. Then Unplug the 6G HD and plug it into your 75MHz computer.

I think even Windows 3.1 wont work well for the 75MHz computer of yours.
cauz I remember my parents using Windows 3.1 on a 250MHz computer, and Windows 3.1 was the lastest "thing" that time.
Your 75MHz is best to run plain old DOS.
nywys
wat will you do on it? play Dave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back