Installing Windows or repairing without CD-ROM

Guys I have an old aspire one model ZG5 , I really dont know what happened , just turned it off and now its not starting .. I tried to run it in safe mode and last configuration etc , nothing works,. it displays a blue screen for less then a sec and then restarts and keeps on doing this , I tried booting from a usb and done a lot of stuff so can please please someone help me ? I really need to fix it. And please I need all the details, I dont even think the windows I copied was correct or not or good or anything so I need all the links , I just got a USB 8GB nothing else .. please help . Thanks.

Hi Moeez, If you power on and you can read the BIOS info on screen, I.e. American megatrends or Amibios,
plus you can read the total RAM you have on the BIOS screen, then it's possible it's a hard drive failure.
You might see the notice "O/S not found" which would confirm it.
If you are not even seeing that, it's possibly a BIOS chip failure, or the software in it has become damaged in some way.
If the power supply fan is running and you have LEDs on the front of pc, then it's possibly a motherboard failure or a RAM board has gone bad in some way.
A quick check you can do, is change the RAM board(s) if you have any spare.

Hi, thats a good idea mike, but another thing you can try is if your computer supports booting from USB you may try installing hiren's boot CD software on the USB and after backing up your files, reinstall the OS from within the Hiren's software

Hi All, Well if it's modern enough to 'boot from USB' then it would help to install a lightweight Linux (Puppy Linux) onto USB drive and set the BIOS to do that. Then the PC could be tested for total RAM and general stability of m'board.
If the Hard drive could not be seen from within Linux then it would prove the failed hard drive idea.
If a live Linux CD is available then try to boot from that. Would need a change in the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first.

hey, sorry what ? guys I think the hardwares are perfectly ok as it didnt fall or anything , so I just need to put a new OS in it, and I got a USB only, no windows CD or anything so can you please tell me the step by step procedure to install the windows and to make it bootable with my laptop? I can download additional stuff from the computer but I need the links so thanks if you can help . I appreciate your concern (^-^)

Sounds like you would like to install a new OS on it.@mike1959 has a great idea to install a lightweight Puppy Linux on from a USB drive. there are several light wight Linux systems that would also work.You can also install Windows from the flash drive too but will need the Windows CD to copy those files to the flash drive and install from the USB as the first boot device manually set in bios.It may be possible to get a recovery disk for your Acer, and make a USB boot drive from that.Would probably be a good idea to make a bootable USB disk with puppy Linux to be sure the hardware is OK and you can get some things done
here is a link to get started
http://www.linuceum.com/Distros/osInstallPuppyLinux.php

Hi Mooez, Not too sure I understand the problem, but to install Windows, you must have a Windows disc, with a valid (your own) product key.
But it sounds like you have a problem with the motherboard, BIOS or Hard drive.You need to sort out what has gone wrong first.
If you have pc with a failed Windows operating system, and if it's used mainly on the internet, then a free Linux distro will be just as good as Windows, except you won't be using Internet Explorer, with Linux you can use Firefox or Chrome.
If your laptop's CD/DVD drive has failed so you only have USB, then that's ok, you can install Linux onto a USB drive, then install it to C: from there.
Or buy or borrow a USB DVD external drive, (e.g. Samsung Super Writemaster) and install Linux (or Windows) from CD or DVD.
Linux distros can be downloaded (700MB ) or buy a Linux magazine (Linux User) and you will have at least 2 distros you can use. Will cost you about £6 / $9.
I use Windows 7 on one PC and Linux Mint on another.

Installing WinXP from anywhere but the legit CD is illegal.
Get Linux. Ubuntu if you will. I expect you'll be happier. Like I was.

Back