Installing Windows OS

By bg8558
Aug 12, 2006
  1. Ok, my internal cd-rom is dead

But i Have a external cd-rom

question 1: can i still install windows xp pro off the external cd-rom?

in the bios i have the 3 boot up options: cd-rom, floopy, and multi-bay

question 2: what does multi-bay mean?
    question 3: setting multi-bay as my 1st option, will that allow me to boot the os off the external cd-rom?

thansk in advance...
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Whether you can boot USB devices, depends on your BIOS. If you don't see an option for booting USB devices, then thngs look pretty bad. A BIOS update may help you.

If you have a laptop computer, then multibay refers to the place in your laptop where the CD-ROM/floppy device sits and where you can stick other devices if you cough up the cash to your laptop maker.

If you actually have a floppy drive, then you can use the Windows XP installation floppies or a DOS bootable floppy with USB drivers.
  3. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 398

WinXP does not support Installing off an external drive, if im not mistaken. Yea, you can download floppies of MS website, but i think those are just for booting, not full installs.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Why on earth would you boot the Windows installer then if you can't install Windows with it? :p And the DOS floppy will work for sure, even if you have to copy the CD contents to the hard drive first.
  5. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 398

Well sorry Nodsu, i just thought that the boot floppies might help him out. Dont get mad at me

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.