TechSpot

Installing windows xp pro on laptop again...=(

By AznGirlie<3
Oct 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok ok so i totally messed up the first time. Haha I think I'm getting it though. So quick question...

In middle of installing they ask about the partitions and unpartitioned space. It gives me this :

*To set up windows xp on the selected item, Press enter.
    *To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, Press C.
    *To delete the selected partition, Press D.

and since I have a laptop, my drive isn't partitioned (it only displays one C: partition1)...nor do i want to partition it. I really want to delete my old windows and clean everything out. So i pressed "enter" and then I got the following message: You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing windows XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly.

*To continue Setup using this partition, press C.
    *to select a different partition, press ESC.

So i proceed with "C"? or am i doing this completely wrong? If i am, can someone help me install this freaking window xp pro sp2 with a completely clean slate?! Thank you in advance!

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite M65 9093
  2. smore9648

smore9648 Newcomer, in training Posts: 757

Are you installing XP as an upgrade or full installation?
  3. AznGirlie<3

AznGirlie<3 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

full installation
  4. smore9648

smore9648 Newcomer, in training Posts: 757

You can overwrite the other OS with no problems.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.