Installing XP and Win98 on 2 Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read through most of the new and old post about doing this and I'm still confused. I have two hard drives in my system. Win98 is on the C drive, the new drive doesn't have a drive letter yet cause I just added it and it has not been fdisk or formatted. (If I read correctly, XP will do the formatting for me.) They are each on their own ribbon cable and attached to a ATA66 controller card on separate channels. I want to put XP on the new second drive and be able to dual boot between it and Win98. After doing some reading on XP, it says if it finds a previous version it will not give me the option to do a clean install. I don't want it to over write my 98. Can anyone tell me the easiest and best way to go about doing this. Neither one of the drives are partitioned. The first is a 30 gig Seagate and the second is a 40 gig WD. They are set to cable select (per Dell instructions). Thanks for any advice.

Originally posted by ladyups
I want to put XP on the new second drive and be able to dual boot between it and Win98. After doing some reading on XP, it says if it finds a previous version it will not give me the option to do a clean install. I don't want it to over write my 98. Can anyone tell me the easiest and best way to go about doing this. Neither one of the drives are partitioned. The first is a 30 gig Seagate and the second is a 40 gig WD. They are set to cable select (per Dell instructions).
If you boot from XP CD, you should be able to choose whether to make a clean install or update 98. You can choose the drive & partition where to install XP in the beginning of XP setup.
There is a partition where 98 is installed, isn't there? You probably mean that your old hdd is partitioned as one partition, C:. XP should detect your existing 98 installation and it should create a boot menu, things should go just fine, but hey, it's XP..

yes, my C drive has one big partition with Win 98 installed on it. Because my new drive doesn't have a drive letter yet, how do I direct XP to install to it. Sorry, I'm really new at this but really want to learn. By booting from my XP cd, you are saying to put my cd in the drive and boot up, correct? Thanks for replying.

or you can install WinXP in Win98. just boot up normally with win98, put the XP cd in, and start your installation frmo there. instructions on how to do this is in 3DS's dual boot guide. just replace the word "Win2000" to "WinXP" and you should be fine.

about the partition, when installing XP, you'll come to a screen that lets you choose the partition to install. you could partition and format the new hdd from there (there'd be a drive letter assigned to the new hdd - probably D: ).

or you could use "fdisk" (from win98 cd) to partition your new hdd first.

By booting from my XP cd, you are saying to put my cd in the drive and boot up, correct?
Correct - but your computer must be set to boot from CD first. It can be set from BIOS by pressing DEL during memory & drive check right after computer has started. It's usually in "Advanced BIOS settings". Or you can use the easier way like Ai Hate answered.

Thanks to both Mictlantecuhtli and Ai Hate for replying so promptly to my message. I was hoping to get this all done last weekend but life got in the way. Hopefully, this weekend.

I think I will do the boot with the cd in and go from there but I do have a couple more questions, if you all don't mind. And, yes, I have already set my Bios to boot from CD. Thanks for reminding me.

First, if you are doing a dual boot, I take it you would load separate drivers for all your peripherals, correct?

Second, should I disconnect all my peripherals before I start the clean install of XP and then load them back on one at time? I think I have most of my newer drivers saved to disk and have already bought upgraded programs for by cd burner and Norton.

Sorry, it took so long for me to reply back but have to work to support this computer adiction of mine.

Thanks again.

First, if you are doing a dual boot, I take it you would load separate drivers for all your peripherals, correct?
Not necessarly ALL of your peripherals, but most have 2 seperate drivers: 2000/XP or 9x/ME. So yes some will require different drivers but XP has drivers for many peripherals.

Second, should I disconnect all my peripherals before I start the clean install of XP and then load them back on one at time? I think I have most of my newer drivers saved to disk and have already bought upgraded programs for by cd burner and Norton.
No, its probably best to keep them all connected when installing an OS, that way the first time the OS is installed it already deals with the hardware, its less messy and generally accepted as the easiest and best way.

One thing I might suggest is to pick 1 partition/hard drive to install the programs to that you are going to use in both OSes. It takes up half the space this way. You do have to install to the same directory from BOTH OSes because stuff needs to be written into the registry.

Post back with any questions you may have.

1.Boot from the XP CD
2.Install it to D:
3.Set the BIOS to boot from D:
4.Windows XP will display a boot menu for you
5.Choose your OS
6.OS Boots

I think this solves the problem.
I even had 2 copies of XP dual booting

Thanks to all of you for your information and support. I finally got the upgrade and installation completed. I now have a dual boot system with XP and Win98 and it is working great.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Mary

Thanks to all of you for your information and support. I finally got the upgrade and installation completed. I now have a dual boot system with XP and Win98 and it is working great.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Mary

Hey ladyups,

It is gonna look like you are installing it on C: but if you go far enough, you will be prompted on where to put it. If you FDISK and FORMAT it before the install, XP will ask you what partition you want it on with drive letters and everything.

How did you dual boot 2 XP Drives on one machine

Th3M1ghtyD8 How did you dual boot one machine with 2 XP drives please?
I have been scouring the boards trying to find out how.
I have one computer for the kids. They each have a drive with Xp installed.
I want to be able to put these 2 drives into one machine and when they boot up let them decide what drive they want to boot off (preferably their own LOL)
Thanx in advance
Leanne

Th3M1ghtyD8 said:
1.Boot from the XP CD
2.Install it to D:
3.Set the BIOS to boot from D:
4.Windows XP will display a boot menu for you
5.Choose your OS
6.OS Boots

I think this solves the problem.
I even had 2 copies of XP dual booting

Status