TechSpot

Installing XP in laptop without CDROM (have floppy)

By Albpoli
Nov 8, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My laptop's cdrom is not working anymore, and I am left only with floppy drive, so I was wondering if my XP is not working anymore how can I install XP without CDROM?
    My first idea is to make an image or to copy XP cd into D: drive and maybe I can install from there. Is this possible?

thanks
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Yes, as long as the D: filesystem is FAT32 (or you have a DOS floppy that (properly) supports NTFS).
  3. Albpoli

Albpoli TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ntfs

actually both C: and D: are NTFS and not FAT or FAT32. Right now what I do when I need a CD is that I create a virtual CD into my desktop and then I am in network with my desktop I copy from there and I work with that CD as virtual CD, but in case XP os is gone then no virtual CD would be.
  4. Nodsu

Format D: as FAT32 then? You can convert it back to NTFS later. Of course you could compile a boot floppy with network support letting you access some network share and access the CD contents that way.. (This method is much more frustrating than it may seem)
  5. Albpoli

Albpoli TS Rookie Topic Starter

all my data are in D:

so if I change from NTFS to Fat am I going to lose them? I guess yes isn't it?
  6. Nodsu

Another option would be an USB CDROM. Either a dedicated device or a CD-ROM drive attached to a hard drive enclosure. Even if your computer can't boot from that you can still make a DOS floppy with USB support.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.