Insufficient Power for new Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP Graphics Card. A problem has been identified that the card is not receiving sufficient power and that the graphics processor has lowered it's performance to a level that allows safe operation. I have a HP E machine which has a power output of 250w (I think?) and from what I know I don't think the power supply can be upgraded.
Am I right?, and can anyone suggest the best way forward.

Thanks,

First, go to this website and calculate your minimum power requirements:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

Then take a look at this site to help decide which company you want to buy your new one from:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

The most important thing to look for is how many amps the power supply is putting out on the 12v rail. For your system, you probably won't need more than about 18amps or so, but still, may as well get one with at least 24a to be safe.

The other thing you need to watch for (and this is a minor issue) is what kind of connector your motherboard needs. Most older boards need a 20 pin connector, while most of the newer power supplies come with a 24 pin connector.

Either by a power supply that comes with a 20 pin, or with BOTH a 20 and 24 pin. No big worries though, even if you get one with ONLY a 24 pin there are adapters available at any parts store for very cheap.

I think it is simply the extra power connector (a molex connector like those on the hard drives) that needs to be hooked up to the VGA card. Try hooking it up & seeing how it runs before you cash out & buy a new PSU.

Good call (as always) Didou.

halmann901, if you don't have the hooked up, then that is probably your problem. In case you don't know what connection didou is talking about, take a look at this pic. That white box on the right needs a connection directly to your power supply. Your specific card may look a little different, but that 4 pin connector will be in the same place.

2005032515593657576.jpg

That is exactly the problem I had once... and that was with a 420 watt PS. I kept getting that same error- opened up my case and low behold there was a plug thingie right on the GeForce card.. plugged it in and no probs ever since in that regard. I would definitely see if you need to plug it or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back