Integrated sound card + high quality headphones?

georgek7

So I'm thinking about buying a nice pair of gaming headphones and I was wondering if I would be needing to upgrade my sound card as well (currently my comp just has the stock Realtek integrated sound card on the motherboard). I have a USB audio adapter and I heard that helps with the sound. I was reading some reviews of these headphones and saw something about "impedance" which is why I'm hesitant of buying them.

These are the headphones I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC...ophone/dp/B0012XFDWO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1286136330&sr=1-1

Also, if I do end up needing a sound card, I'm not sure I'll have a slot for it because I already used my PC 16 express slot for my video card.

Thanks in advance

gaming headphones are good, but they will only be able to amplify the quality of audio that is produced by your sound card. if you don't have an available PCI or PCIe slot for a sound card adapter, there are other options such as USB (you have this already) and even a dock that fits in your 5.25 drive bays! if you're a gamer (which it sounds like you are) then you will benefit from buying a dedicated sound adapter because not only will it sound better, but you will have access to a bigger variety of software features and options.

So if I buy one of these headsets, I will be alright because I have the USB audio adapter? I'm trying to stay away from upgrading my audio card. But if it is necessary I would.

it will work with the USB adapter, but it's up to you to decide if the audio is of desired quality ;)

not sure i would spend nearly $200 on a headset... i'm sure the sennheisers are nice but logitech makes good products that are much cheaper. i like my plantronics gamecom 777 but that actually comes with a USB audio adapter of it's own. i think i paid around $75 and honestly i didn't even want to pay that lol. they are great though, so i wont complain. if i were you i would read up on peoples reviews for each headset (weigh out the good and bad) and base your decision on that.

Back