TechSpot

Intel announces Atom processor redesign, code-named Silvermont

By Shawn Knight
May 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Intel on Monday released details about their upcoming Atom processor redesign, code-named Silvermont. The 22-naometer SoC, said to deliver three times the performance while consuming five times less power versus current Atom chips, will be the first in a family...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

Good... I was wondering how that new Acer tablet was going to run Windows 8 on an Atom and give 8 hrs of battery life.

And I'm glad to see Intel hasn't abandoned their wealthy country club-esque pretentious sounding model names. Clearly a processor for the sophisticated gentleman.

JC713 likes this.
  3. Kunming

Kunming TS Rookie Posts: 43

Haha exactly.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

I think they should lose the Atom name, people associate them with slowness :eek:.

5. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Rookie Posts: 74

Hmm, the slides say 3 times performance or 5 times lower power... not both at same time!

6. PhilC

PhilC TS Rookie

"... while consuming five times less power ..."

So, does that mean the redesigned chips will be net power producers?

7. tmcclelland47

tmcclelland47 TS Rookie

The Diamondville in my netbook isn't even listed.

8. It says 3 times the performance WHILE consuming 5 times less power.

"The 22-nanometer SoC, said to deliver three times the performance while consuming five times less power versus current Atom chips."

9. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 279   +49

Well, I think that if Intel had used 'Xor' instead of 'Or' they'd have saved controversy. :p

10. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Enthusiast Posts: 162   +22

Only work when 2 things disagree?

11. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 279   +49

Yep, just one or the other but not both at once; that would be clear and would end the expeculation about both being possible at the same time or just one of them. To me it seems pretty much like just one of them at the same time.

12. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Rookie Posts: 74

Doesn't matter what the author thought, if those Intel slides are correct then it is either one or the other; not both at same time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.