Intel Broadwell-E reportedly delayed to 2016, Skylake-S already sampling

Scorpus

Staff member

With every launch of a new architecture, Intel likes to release a set of enthusiast parts that typically hit the market a year after the standard-grade SKUs. Recently, for example, we saw the launch of the Haswell-E line-up around a year after the first Haswell parts landed.

Intel is gearing up to launch Broadwell at the end of this year (at least for mobile products), so it was only natural to see many leaked roadmaps place Broadwell-E's launch at the end of 2015. However, according to the latest rumor from VR-Zone, Intel has delayed the enthusiast grade parts until 2016, with sampling set to occur in the second quarter of 2015.

According to their sources, Broadwell-E will pack similar hardware to Haswell-E. This means we'll get up to eight physical cores, 40 PCIe lanes, up to 20 MB of cache, and support for quad-channel DDR4-2400. One main difference is the switch to a 14nm process node, although the TDP of Broadwell-E will reportedly stay the same at 140W.

Intel has also allegedly entered the sampling phase for their upcoming Skylake-S desktop parts. It's expected that these CPUs will enter mass production in the second half of 2015, ready for devices in the latter part of the year.

Skylake-S parts will carry a TDP of up to 95W, according to VR-Zone. They will support both DDR4 and DDR3 memory, and current samples feature Turbo clocks up to 2.9 GHz. Skylake will require a new CPU socket, LGA 1151, meaning it won't be backwards compatible with existing Haswell motherboards.

Permalink to story.

I am kind of confused and not up-to date: is Skylake the integration after Broadwell or is it Broadwell for desktops?

As for Broadwell-E though, it sounds very underwhelming. It seems very much like Ivy Bridge-E: a mostly unchanged CPU with a manufacturing process change.

I am kind of confused and not up-to date: is Skylake the integration after Broadwell or is it Broadwell for desktops?

As for Broadwell-E though, it sounds very underwhelming. It seems very much like Ivy Bridge-E: a mostly unchanged CPU with a manufacturing process change.
Skylake-S is destined to be a first new architecture after Hasswell and Broadwell. Broadwell for desktop is still pending as far as I know.
Broadwell-e was never meant to be a big upgrade as it follows Intel tick-tock cadence. It is something to be expected for the last 8 years or so.
Actually Ivy bridge on workstation/server side is more efficient and with more cores available than sandy, only ivy-e buyers were left out of this core count enlargement...

I'm definitely the minority, but dang, how much faster can these future processors be?

With the rise of SSD's slowly closing the bottleneck cap of computers, I'm not sure how much more cores or "new architectural" processing power one would need for daily tasks.

I'm definitely the minority, but dang, how much faster can these future processors be?
With the rise of SSD's slowly closing the bottleneck cap of computers, I'm not sure how much more cores or "new architectural" processing power one would need for daily tasks.
I'm sure someone said something like that 20 odd years ago too. Aren't you glad no one listened to them?

With the popularity and availability of relatively low priced consumer devices that can record 4k video, there is definitely a demand for more processing power. I'm sure there are many more examples that could be given, that was just the first obvious one to me.

Hahaha. That's why I said I'm the minority right? :)

I still use my Q6600 in my Dell Optiplex since '07 and see no reason in upgrading anytime soon. It's a great chip and does everything I throw at it. I haven't tried processing 4k video with it, but while I'm sure it won't do it faster than these can, it will probably still get the job done, which is all the average consumer needs. They don't need to spend over 2-3K building around these E-series chip for it. Most of them probably won't know or tell the difference.

I still use my Q6600 in my Dell Optiplex since '07 and see no reason in upgrading anytime soon. It's a great chip and does everything I throw at it. I haven't tried processing 4k video with it, but while I'm sure it won't do it faster than these can, it will probably still get the job done, which is all the average consumer needs. They don't need to spend over 2-3K building around these E-series chip for it. Most of them probably won't know or tell the difference.
Let's face it, the family SUV doesn't need 300 horsepower. But next years model will need 310, just to give people the flimsiest of excuses to not be able to live without it.

In many cases, upscaled DVD compares favorably with Blu-Ray, so how could you possibly live without 4K when it becomes available on a credit card?

People are starting to talk about phone screens being too large. Apple should run with this, and offer the iPhone 7 with a smaller screen, corresponding to a $100.00 bump up in price.

IMHO, most people confuse being tech savvy, with being hopelessly addicted tech junkies.

So, I'll see your "minority opinion", and raise you mine....;)

Last edited:

I'm using a C2D e6400 so you are ahead of me. However I have used Premiere to try and deal with 1080p from my GoPro and its a joke. I'm finally financially in a position to build new and I plan on doing that soon.. Maybe I can wait another few weeks for Black Friday specials (perhaps a cheap SSD?).

I'm using a C2D e6400 so you are ahead of me. However I have used Premiere to try and deal with 1080p from my GoPro and its a joke.
No surprise here. I have an E7300 / P-45 rig, (about the same as yours, but 45nm). Photoshop Elements 7 stops it cold. You try to import photos and you might as well break for lunch. Now we're at an Ivy Bridge i3-3225 + a Velociraptor for the system drive. It makes way better progress but, Adobes mud on top of mud, off shore programming, still strains it a bit. (Adobe never really fixes things with PSE, they just release a new version, over top of the old bugs).

Back