Intel Core 2 Duos

By GameJunkie72792
Dec 30, 2006
  1. can i use a core 2 duo socket 478 cpu in any mobo, or does the mobo have to support dual core cpus?
  2. darel001

darel001 TS Rookie Posts: 40

I believe c2d is 775 socket , and i would recommend getting a new mobo that runs 1066 FSb , to really get the full c2d. Hope this helps, plus if u are getting a new cpu , it doesnt hurt to get a beter mobo .
  3. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 274

thanks that helps alot and possibly saved me some money
  4. darel001

You dnt know how glad it makes me feel to know i helped . C ya.
  5. anstro

anstro TS Rookie

Core 2 Duo is a LGA775 socket and it works only with Intel P965 or Intel 975 chipset so if you want a Core 2 Duo be sure your motherboard has one of those chipsets
  6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Not entirely true. There are a number of chipsets besides those two mentioned that work with Core2Duo.

Nvidia's 680i for example.
  7. darel001

There is an ecs p4m800 pro mobo which supports c2d, but with my experience it is by far theeeeee worst mobo ever. I got it in a PD bundle and the damn thing wouldnt accept any ram i would put in it, i ended up getting a gygabyte. THIs cmp took me like month and a half to know what was worng. and itsuked cause it was a comp i was building for my uncle so i felt bad. But all ended mostly well.
  8. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 274

would a sit such as newegg have the bundle i am looking for? if not where would i get it?
  9. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Actually, there are Core 2s for socket 478. The mobile Core 2s will fit in socket 478 mobos or so I have heard. They run on a 667MHz system bus, so that's not out of range of socket 478 (max 800MHz).
  10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you must use a core 2 duo motherboard specfically.

The CPU requires a specialized chipset.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.