TechSpot

Intel details Core i7, i5, i3 branding plans

By Jos
Jun 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intel has shed some light on its branding plans for upcoming processors saying it would center on three main designations: the lower-end Core i3, mid-range Core i5, and high-end Core i7. The move is expected to reinforce Core as the flagship brand, phasing out or renaming current Core 2 Duo and Quad parts, while making the performance jumps between processors more transparent to the average consumer.

Read the whole story

2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

And I though Amd and Nvidia were getting confusing with naming products.

3. Perhaps they'd be more accurate if they renamed their Centrino chipset the "incompatible with other companies' Wi-Fi, especially Intersil" chipset. (To this day, they haven't fixed the nasty bugs which keep Centrino laptops from associating with the millions of access points that use the Prism II chipset.)

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

"...while making the performance jumps between processors more transparent to the average consumer."

I'm not entirely certain that a transparent performance jump is of any benefit to the consumer. I would hope that the performance jumps are more radical and apparent when moving through the i3, i5 and i7 lineup.

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

maybe they have a fetish with prime numbers, who knows.

6. Captain828

Captain828 TS Guru Posts: 277

They apparently had one with even numbers in the previous Core lineup: Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad.

7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

yeah but we're talkin about the future here,

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.