Intel e6300 core 2 duo conroe VS AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ AM2 D/CORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

I have just about decided to go with the e6300 but want to make sure one last time it is the right way to go. These two CPU's are the same price. According to most people the e6300 left the 4200+ in the dust in all tests. I do however still like AMD... What do you guys think? The e6300 or the 4200+. Even though both are low core speeds (1.87 and 2.2ghz respectively) they still out perform a 3.6ghz pentium 4. Is this correct? I dont understand why a CPU with low core speed can outperform one with very high speed? I was always under the impression that core speed was the main determinant of "performance". If anyone could clear this up it would be hugely appreciated. Also, for the same money I can buy a Intel Pentium*D-940 CPU - 3.2 Ghz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 x 2MB L2 Cache, LGA775...

Which of these 3 is the best?

All help would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

Out of those 3, the E6300 is the best. Conroe's new architecture is so efficient, that easily outperforms Netburst based CPU´s (P4, PD, Celeron D), and even manages to outperform AMD CPU's.

You can see by yourself HERE. All Conroe CPU's perform excellent. And you can overclock them very easily, and that way, your 1.8GHZ Conroe overclocked to 2000-2400 MHZ will completely trash the other CPU's.

Thank you for your reply. I thought the e6300 would be the best option. Concerning the overclocking, I have no experience/idea how to do this but is it relatively easy/simple? Or will I need to purchase "extreme" cooling or anything else?

Regards,

Korrupt

Not extreme cooling. Conroe chips run very cool, because they're manufactured on a 65nm process. They consume little power, and run very cool.

If you don't overclock it extremely, it should be safe with stock cooling :)

Why dont u check Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 cache 2.33Ghz 1333MHz FSB) This is the latest one in this series with Addition catche memory and system bus and budget is almost same.

Yeah i agree. For the very small extra you pay, you'll a better cpu.
www.overclockers.co.uk sells bundles of; mobo, cpu and ram that they guarantee will overclock really well. Use these as maybe a benchmark of what to buy if you do want to overclock.

Btw, i don't know why folk say "i really like AMD" then in the next sentence almost confess to not knowing what they're doing when it comes to upgrading a pc etc. No offence intended korrupt, but if you become a fanboi without knowing why, you're likely to be sold some seriously duff info. Glad you came here first dude :)
Good luck with your choice, but i don't think you'll go wrong with core2duo.
For comparison the E6300 when overclocked to about 2.8GHz with stock cooler can hammer the 4800+ easily! ;)

But why? If you were given a pc without knowing what cpu was inside, you couldn't tell by playing a game or running a program what cpu make it was. So what makes you a fanboi? I can't get my head around this. I only have preference to which represents the best performance/price at the time i need to buy, be it AMD or INTEL. C'mon this aint like PS3 v xbox 360 fanboi stuff, this is just a cpu, and again you couldn't tell the difference if you didn't know which was inside the pc. :confused:

But I know about whats inside of a PC. You could say I'm an expert. Well very experienced none the less. And I like AMD because they are invested here in Austin Texas.

Aaahh....well that different then, fanboi membership accepted! :D
I don't buy the "I'm an expert" bit though dude, I'm at IT Manager and have been byulding pc for over 5 years too, mostly AMD's but I favour Intel right now because they produce the best cpu's currently, which may well change with the new Barcelona cores from AMD, we'll see.
Better to keep an open mind methinks, otherwise fanboi's can get ripped big time, like the Sony fanboi's, paying waayyyyy too much for their PS3.....eejits! :)

yeah, tbh, i think 1 year is enough to be called an 'expert', seeing as the technology changes so fast. I don't doubt there's plenty of stuff you'd know that i don't, as with most others on here, being an 'IT Manager' means bugger all really, lol. If a printer stops working, i go kick it till it works :D

lol, i remember buying my XP2500 barton when they first came out and clocking it to 3200....nigh on 3 years ago now, still running fine at 3200.
Thats back when i paid £240 for my Radeon 9800pro 128mb AGPx8.:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back