Intel engineers found 43 driver issues after watching one Arc A380 review on YouTube

mongeese

Staff
Recap: Intel launched the Arc 3 A380 in China earlier this year and it finally found its way into the hands of reviewers last month. The consensus was that it performed okay for an entry-level card but was too hindered by buggy drivers to be a product worth buying.

Gamers Nexus took the time to make a video about just the driver problems (see above). In summary, the game drivers are sort-of alright: most newish games load and play fine. But the driver installer is so problematic that it borders on being malware, and when the Arc Command app decides not to crash, its settings toggles and overclocking utilities barely work at all.

Partly in response, the VP and general manager of the Visual Computing Group at Intel, Lisa Pearce, penned a blog post discussing some common concerns about the Arc series last week. She talks first about the minor problems with DX11 and DX9 and then reiterates the importance of enabling Resizable Bar on Arc GPUs before addressing the elephant in the room.

Intel's question: I've read reviews that say Intel's driver is not ready yet. What's the status?

"We appreciate the feedback we are getting in early reviews of our Arc software stack. And it has been bumpy. We have received frank feedback from press during recent reviews, and we have taken it to heart."

Pearce continues, but I'd like to pause here to reiterate that the A380 hasn't launched outside of China yet.

None of the reviews, including our own, were conducted through any sort of review program. Instead, reviewers have had to purchase their A380 samples from China and have them shipped.

"For example, we filed 43 issues with our engineering team from a review of the A380 by Gamers Nexus. We had corrected 4 of those issues by the end of July. Since then, we corrected 21 UI issues in our driver release on August 19, and it also includes Day 0 support for Saints Row, Madden NFL 23, fixes for Stray and Horizon Zero Dawn crashes, Marvel's Spider-Man performance fix, and fixes on SmoothSync corruptions. We are taking similar approaches with reports from other press reviews.

We are continuing to learn what it will take for us to be successful. Some of the issues were related to our installer and how it downloaded unique components after initial installation. This allows us to have a smaller initial download to get users started quicker. But unexpected failures are causing that process to be unreliable, and later this year we will be moving to a combined package that is downloaded and installed all at once. No more installer issues."

It sounds like Intel is listening to reviewers and reflecting on their feedback, which is a pleasant change. However, I find it hard to believe that Intel wasn't already aware of most of the issues pointed out by Gamers Nexus. They were simply too glaring and if they were as trivial to fix as Pearce claims, then they should have been fixed before the software left beta. At least some of them are fixed now...

Permalink to story.

This is a really interesting case study on the reviewer-supplier relationship. GN has taken the time and effort to critically report on a product, whilst Intel is acknowledging this and responding to this. I’m going to avoid wearing my cynical hat for this one and say this is how it should be.

Compare and contrast with Asrock banning the two Steves because of negative reviews, as well as the myriad of other uncritical shill tech review channels out there (names withheld but you know who they are!).

Well, I have yet to see a piece of software or hardware that was bug free on launch for about the last decade or longer. Yeah, they REALLY could have done more testing and troubleshooting before launch. However, I commend them for actually writing back to the community, stating that they know it's a mess, and giving updates that they have actively fixed or have redesigns to fix issues encountered. I was kinda looking forward to getting an Arc 770 at some point, let's see if they can sort this mess out.

Drivers like 5G modems is probably hard .
You kinda know if you buy an AMD card mid-range and it has parity with Nvidia's' XX60 board that in 2 years it will pull ahead .
So if Intel genuinely put resources in then in 5 years who knows
Like we are glad MS stuck with Xbox

To put it in perspective - look at browser war - where the stds are known ( excepting poorly coded large websites that say used a quirk in IE )

There were articles on page rendering times and it they implemented all the features .- did your bank work only on IE etc ?

The browsers took years to resolve some issues .
Hopefully no one has IE on their PC anymore for that weird website they need - but I'm sure most of us used to keep it as backup.
Now Edge is based on Chromium - Google. MS can more concentrate on good things in their respective browsers than worrying about compatibility issues

This is what you might expect from a crowd-funded startup. It's disgraceful for a tech giant with - as we were told so many times - "more software engineers than AMD has employees". And pretty much incredible that the responsible management let it get to this point.

This is what you might expect from a crowd-funded startup. It's disgraceful for a tech giant with - as we were told so many times - "more software engineers than AMD has employees". And pretty much incredible that the responsible management let it get to this point.
Well, consider who the "responsible management" is in this case.

Found and acknowledged even. Imagine that.
Somehow people thought things would go smoothly out of the gate. Very odd, that.

Graphic driver history was known. Previous attempts to launch a dGPU were known. They try again with short lived support, because it can't compete head to head on day one? Is this real life?

Give me a freaking break. It's Intel's money not yours. Buy the cards now or don't. Wait for progress or don't, but the constant jabs are amateur and immature imo. The clouds block the sun on occasion. Get over it.

I prefer that when I download an installer, the download actually will install what I need. I don't want to download a downloader that needs to download more to perform the install.
Yep, Im hate that installer download are now the norm in many programs, chrome I think starts it all, then mozilla, and now even MS Teams do it... Annoying, because most of that usually relied on abstract downlod in the background that didnt show user any progress ...

Intel had perfect timing as GPU market was severely stressed particularly low and mid tier making it easier for a new entrant to gain share.
As much I would love to criticize them, the fact is matching 3060 level performance in 1st gen is a huge deal.
Poor driver issues are very much expected at first gen.
The important thing is that they should acknowledge these faults and work to resolve them, which they are seem to be doing.
We keep forgetting that GPUs are one of the fastest evolving and complex hardwares. Considering it was not a global launch but a limited China only test, it's bit too quick to berate them, yet.

It sounds like they are letting the reviewers and users do their works..

you should say "It sounds like they are letting the reviewers and users do TESTS and Intel´s JOB for them"

Intel and many other tech companies: I send some devices for free (or sell them...) which for us is very cheap and they will do alpha, beta tests for us, instead of paying extra to someone (or the first gen buyers will do it for them, sending "anonymous reports" with the bugs > so, we earn money from the first gen products, we improve them for free and those buyers will also want to buy the second gen product because it solves the issues they had! Magnificent!!!)

As much I would love to criticize them, the fact is matching 3060 level performance in 1st gen is a huge deal.
Poor driver issues are very much expected at first gen.

I love when people keep saying "1st gen". Intel is into graphics at least since 2004, then in 2011 (+-) they started with the Intel Iris Graphics which were GPUs but integrated. They have drivers and optimizations for decades now. Now that they make a piece of silicon on a board with dedicated memory...they are 1st gen for the silicon/drivers?! These silicons are a huge part of Xe graphics they already have on iGPUs but with optimizations for dGPU with their own memory and much bigger silicon / TDP for the GPU alone.

So they are on the many gen hardware/drivers as they were on the 1st gen, that is correct.....

Last edited:
Let's not act like this is something surprising, Intel drivers are often one of the worst when it comes to bugs, errors and lack of features.

TL;DR
Intel says they only wanted to scam Chinese and it's not their fault reviewers from the States bought cards from China and were disappointed.

For free. Smart move by Intel
Not for free. Most reviewers had to procure their cards in China, as there has been no official launch outside China. The whole Tom Petersen & Ryan Shrout tour is a PR gimmick, created to generate goodwill from a merciless audience (the reviewers).

you should say "It sounds like they are letting the reviewers and users do TESTS and Intel´s JOB for them"

Intel and many other tech companies: I send some devices for free (or sell them...) which for us is very cheap and they will do alpha, beta tests for us, instead of paying extra to someone (or the first gen buyers will do it for them, sending "anonymous reports" with the bugs > so, we earn money from the first gen products, we improve them for free and those buyers will also want to buy the second gen product because it solves the issues they had! Magnificent!!!)

I love when people keep saying "1st gen". Intel is into graphics at least since 2004, then in 2011 (+-) they started with the Intel Iris Graphics which were GPUs but integrated. They have drivers and optimizations for decades now. Now that they make a piece of silicon on a board with dedicated memory...they are 1st gen for the silicon/drivers?! These silicons are a huge part of Xe graphics they already have on iGPUs but with optimizations for dGPU with their own memory and much bigger silicon / TDP for the GPU alone.

So they are on the many gen hardware/drivers as they were on the 1st gen, that is correct.....
Remind me how long it too AMD to straighten their drivers out? Or are we giving them a free pass again?
It turns out making GPUs is hard. Whodduh thunk?

Remind me how long it too AMD to straighten their drivers out? Or are we giving them a free pass again?
It turns out making GPUs is hard. Whodduh thunk?
You really want to compare AMD with Intel?

Intel was by far the biggest company from the three (AMD, Nvidia) twelve years ago. Then it slept over their products. At present, even fabless, AMD often worth more than Intel and Nvidia worth is much higher. Why?

Because they do, more often than not, their homework. Intel's approach now is just a mirror from their sleep in the last decade. AMD as an example, also had things to improve and they did it. Intel does not.

So I give Intel no free pass and no money, only if I have absolutely no other chance. After a so huge history Intel teaches us that neither Sony or Microsoft wants their chips on their consoles; steam doesn't want it; apple doesn't want it. Microsoft is testing hard with ARM as other companies. So, if Intel still keeps damaging their image, they will sink hard....

Can you test Spiderman again with latest driver. Intel say that they fixed performance in spiderman

Last edited:
Folks, creating a new GPU platform is a very involved and daunting task. Creating a driver set for said new GPU platform is an equally daunting task. To refine them after finding glitches and bugs is to be expected.

It took NVidia, 3DFX, Matrox, ATI, etc, etc years to refine and perfect their GPU's years ago and for those companies who still exist, it's an ongoing process that never ends.

Patience is required. Intel has a great start. I suspect this is the beginning of something good for Intel and the world of technology.

I prefer that when I download an installer, the download actually will install what I need. I don't want to download a downloader that needs to download more to perform the install.
lots of installers do that it's annoying, but there is a reason for it,

Or like when you install nvidia drivers you need to find school busses and tractors..oh wait even before that you need have nvidia resend you password that you forgot so that you can pass the mandatory login you need to do before you can even install the damn thing. Makes so much sense having mandatory loging to a GPU driver, can we please have it for chipset driver and windows drivers to, please ?
Oh well, once you get passed all that, you finally have installed the 3 way split driver, so that you can finally setup the functions in the overlay, and some in the good ol' nvidia control panel and the last stuff in nvidia experience. And yes you will need all thoose 3 things if you want full functionality, like recording capability. Also keep in mind that even if you have told GFE to NOT auto download drivers the damn thing will still do that when you open GFE, really great what that happends in the middle of a game. Those are just some of the regular annoyances you need to work around using geforce drivers. With that said the drivers do mostly work as they should, in general that is. - They do tend to break my adobe products export capability quite often, oh well, find tractors again and roll one driver release back and it's all good again.
My roomie on the other hand is using a 6800xt with ALL the functions in one overlay, its quite alot when you first look at it, but at least it's all there in one place. The driver it self works about the same as my nvidia drivers. But you don't have to go trough all that crap to simply install them, its a much more no nonsense approach, even relive works as good as nvidia's instant replay nowadays.
Ill be getting one of them next gen cards, and if they are about equal on the performance metrics I will go back to AMD again for sure.

Back