Intel launches Phantom Canyon NUC 11 with Tiger Lake processor and discrete Nvidia graphics

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: Intel's next-generation NUCs not only benefit from Tiger Lake's improved I/O support, but the flagship 'Phantom Canyon' model also packs an Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU inside. Though admittedly based on Nvidia's last-gen Turing architecture, the hardware can still hold its own against most modern titles, making it an appealing SFF option for deep-pocketed buyers.

Intel has previously gone the discrete GPU route for its NUC series with the Ghost Canyon NUC 9 Extreme and has now made a second (albeit less extreme) attempt with the Phantom Canyon NUC 11. In addition to this flagship model that features an Nvidia Turing GPU, the company has also launched three other variants targeting business, mainstream, and DIY users.

Intel says the NUC 11 Enthusiast mini-PC, which also ships in kit form, is designed for "high-end gaming." It's powered by a 4C/8T Core i7-1165G7 CPU and a 6GB RTX 2060 GPU, alongside 16GB of RAM and 32GB + 512GB of Optane H10 SSD storage in the standard model.

Those without a discrete GPU requirement can go for the NUC 11 Performance (Panther Canyon) that's available in two more CPU choices (i3-1115G4, Core i5-1135G7) in addition to the i7 model. Business users, meanwhile, can get the NUC 11 Pro (Tiger Canyon) that offers optional Dual LAN and support for Intel vPro technologies like hardware-based security and remote management features. There's also the NUC 11 Compute Element (Elk Bay), a 65 x 95mm modular building block for system builders and uses either Intel Core or Celeron chips.

Intel has not officially unveiled pricing or availability of its new NUC lineup, though SimplyNUC is currently listing an 8GB/128GB NUC 11 Enthusiast SKU on pre-order for $1,349 with shipment in March. Also, if you play around with SimplyNUC's online configurator, the ultimate NUC 11 with 64GB RAM, 16TB of NVMe storage, and Windows 10 Pro lands in at just over $5,700!

Permalink to story.

Also, if you play around with SimplyNUC's online configurator, the ultimate NUC 11 with 64GB RAM, 16TB of NVMe storage, and Windows 10 Pro lands in at just over $5,700!
Nearly 70% of that insane price tag comes from the two 8GB NVMe SSDs - they're charging $1919 for the first one and $1999 for the second. One can pick up such drives from Newegg for $1300, saving yourself a cool $1320 if you kitted it out yourself. Not that I'd want to ever spend $1350 on a NUC.

Nearly 70% of that insane price tag comes from the two 8GB NVMe SSDs - they're charging $1919 for the first one and $1999 for the second. One can pick up such drives from Newegg for $1300, saving yourself a cool $1320 if you kitted it out yourself. Not that I'd want to ever spend $1350 on a NUC.
I just saw a 8TB on Amazon for $1299 and it is free shipping!! But, I digress.....

Still can't really figure out who this is for, or what scenario would justify the price premium. Portable gamers will get a laptop, desktop gamers can build their own for cheaper with more upgrade routes and flexibility.

Obviously there are business uses etc which the business model could be for (can't see many though) but still not sure what consumer purpose there is for a box with a skull on it besides "oh that's neat!"

They went with Nvidia, that tells me how much they care for the customers.

I wished that AMD would partner with someone to make similar NUC's, but then again, AMD is selling everything they are receiving from TSMC, so until they get more wafers, I guess they are stuck.

Intel does make some very nice and compelling SFF systems with their NUC line. Pricey ? Absolutely, but very nice often is.

Mini PCs can perform a lot of office tasks with lower power usage. They can also be used as media centers and plenty of other things.
They make sense but not at this price point. A mini pc can make sense because you don't have to buy SF power supply, PC case etc.
At this price point (and specs) you are better off going for an ITX build with a compact case.
An RTX 3060 (ti) (with a power limit) + i3 10100f will take more space and use more power but the whole built will be cheaper and way better and still be small enough to carry around easily.

Still can't really figure out who this is for, or what scenario would justify the price premium. Portable gamers will get a laptop, desktop gamers can build their own for cheaper with more upgrade routes and flexibility.

Obviously there are business uses etc which the business model could be for (can't see many though) but still not sure what consumer purpose there is for a box with a skull on it besides "oh that's neat!"

Actually depending on space requirements or if you lan a lot it makes sense. The nut can be mounted to the vesa holes on the back of every single monitor ever made. With a wireless keyboard dongle all you really have to carry around at that point is the monitor, keyboard/mouse, and the power cords. Think of it as carrying around a slightly bulkier all in one.

I would buying if not looking like ugly graphic. I like small size. visual is very important and it is not match my room with ugly graphic like that

Buy xbox series s instead, it's totally nuc(s) and far better value + way cheaper or maybe asus pn50, asrock deskmini a300 or x300 + geforce now.

Its for me ... But my valuation of the parts comes to a considerably lower sum(£800??) ...What sort of Buffoon wouldn't want a Skull on their Pc during business meetings? Thrust it in others faces and they will know you are a Level 1 mage , not to be messed with!.

I wished that AMD would partner with someone to make similar NUC's, but then again, AMD is selling everything they are receiving from TSMC, so until they get more wafers, I guess they are stuck.
Yes, much better they go with AMD, who have such amazing mobile offerings such as........the 5500xm, which is both slower and more power hungry? Yay?

This device shows off amd's biggest weak spot. Intel works with other companies to design these devices, they look nice and address a variety of niche markets. AMD puts out great chips, but they don't put out the nice reference designs or boards.

I've argued for years that AMD should have partnered with a smaller laptop brand to produce a proper Radeonbook, rally show the other OEMs how it's done. That's what intel had to do with the ultrabook.
Buy xbox series s instead, it's totally nuc(s) and far better value + way cheaper or maybe asus pn50, asrock deskmini a300 or x300 + geforce now.
Yes, a locked down console running games at 30 fps with subscription based internet service and lack of mouse+kb support in many games is the PERFECT alternative. Also, have you considered replacing your car with an underwater horse? I heard you can get a great deal on them right now.

Yes, much better they go with AMD, who have such amazing mobile offerings such as........the 5500xm, which is both slower and more power hungry? Yay?

This device shows off amd's biggest weak spot. Intel works with other companies to design these devices, they look nice and address a variety of niche markets. AMD puts out great chips, but they don't put out the nice reference designs or boards.

I've argued for years that AMD should have partnered with a smaller laptop brand to produce a proper Radeonbook, rally show the other OEMs how it's done. That's what intel had to do with the ultrabook.
Yes, a locked down console running games at 30 fps with subscription based internet service and lack of mouse+kb support in many games is the PERFECT alternative. Also, have you considered replacing your car with an underwater horse? I heard you can get a great deal on them right now.
I have driver license but I don't own a car, I'm against oil guzzling, nature polluting. cancer growing, death machines and I love your sarcasm, yea right don't buy xbox for 300 bucks, buy intel nuc for 2000 bucks, with rtx 2060, for me ryzen is the way, as I said asrock deskmini, for 400 bucks.

The NuC Company does make three or so Ryzen based NuC under the Ruby model name but none have discreet graphic and and more moderately priced .... they also post them on their youtube page !

Back