Intel officially releases Haswell Refresh processors

By Scorpus
May 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Back in April, Intel began quietly shipping their Haswell Refresh processors to a limited selection of retailers, ahead of the official launch of the CPUs and new 9-series-based motherboards designed for them. Now Intel is making it all official, having...

Read more
  2. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,830   +881

Oh no! My 3770k is no longer fast enough! What will I ever do....

I honestly like seeing refreshes like this. If you every break hardware through over clocking its nice to be able to replace with something a little faster. It ALMOST justifies the replacement cost. Luckily its been a long time since I've killed a CPU, but I did kill a gtx470 a few years back shortly after the release of the 600 series.

overclocking is not for the faint of heart lol.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Im only curious with this in the Devils Canyon chips coming. The rest are just there to replace some of the other sku's with slight clock bumps.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

What will be the Core counts??
  5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Same as always, the i5 will be a 4core and the i7 is a 4core 8 thread chip. These are not the Haswell-E series chips.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So no core count increases :'(
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Eh boring update. The highlight of this update has to be the Z97 chipset. Devils canyon CPUs may be great, we will have to see.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

IMO, there hasn't been anything exciting since Sandy Bridge. Maybe that's because I was needing upgrades at the time though.
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah that is true. There is no competition from AMD, so the sector is boring. On the other hand though, look at the GPU industry, AMD is actually releasing competition to nVidia's products so they are actually trying to outclass each other!
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

I am happy with my i5 4670K cpu. Frankly the best performance boost of recent times must be the SSD. I still cannot get over just how fast my PC boots from cold.
  11. The last few generation of cpu's if you could call them that have been hilarious. I have been running 4ghz+ with a I7 920 d0 since early 2009 with 4 cores and 8 hyperthread.

Intel have caught onto the fact that no one needs more power and are willing to spend heaps of cash for "new generation gear" that's basically smaller die, heat and power consumption while tacking on low end graphics onboard to justify the release. In all seriousness the 2core i3's should come with onboard graphics as this helps people with basic work stations and the high end cpus should get rid of the onboard graphics and step upto at least 5+ cores.