Intel officially releases Haswell Refresh processors

Scorpus

Staff member

Back in April, Intel began quietly shipping their Haswell Refresh processors to a limited selection of retailers, ahead of the official launch of the CPUs and new 9-series-based motherboards designed for them. Now Intel is making it all official, having released 9-series parts into the wild last week, and launching Haswell Refresh today.

Haswell Refresh processors aren't particularly exciting, as they're basically a small clock speed boost over existing Haswell parts at no extra cost. For example, the top-end Core i7-4790 clocked at 3.6 GHz replaces the Core i7-4770 at 3.4 GHz, and is now available through retailers such as Newegg and Amazon for $315.

The line-up consists of 44 SKUs, 27 for desktops and 17 for mobile machines, ranging from the $378 Core i7-4712MQ mobile chip to the $42 desktop Celeron G1840T. All desktop parts use the LGA 1150 socket, and support both the 8-series and 9-series motherboard chipset. 9-series motherboards are primarily designed for Intel's upcoming 'Broadwell' CPUs, which will launch (for desktops) in early 2015.

More Haswell Refresh processors are set to be launched in the coming months, including new K-series Devil's Canyon parts developed especially for overclocking and enthusiasts.

If you're interested in how the new 9-series chipsets and Haswell Refresh processors perform, we'll have a full review posted very shortly, so stay tuned.

Permalink to story.

Oh no! My 3770k is no longer fast enough! What will I ever do....

I honestly like seeing refreshes like this. If you every break hardware through over clocking its nice to be able to replace with something a little faster. It ALMOST justifies the replacement cost. Luckily its been a long time since I've killed a CPU, but I did kill a gtx470 a few years back shortly after the release of the 600 series.

overclocking is not for the faint of heart lol.

Im only curious with this in the Devils Canyon chips coming. The rest are just there to replace some of the other sku's with slight clock bumps.

Eh boring update. The highlight of this update has to be the Z97 chipset. Devils canyon CPUs may be great, we will have to see.

IMO, there hasn't been anything exciting since Sandy Bridge. Maybe that's because I was needing upgrades at the time though.
Yeah that is true. There is no competition from AMD, so the sector is boring. On the other hand though, look at the GPU industry, AMD is actually releasing competition to nVidia's products so they are actually trying to outclass each other!

I am happy with my i5 4670K cpu. Frankly the best performance boost of recent times must be the SSD. I still cannot get over just how fast my PC boots from cold.

The last few generation of cpu's if you could call them that have been hilarious. I have been running 4ghz+ with a I7 920 d0 since early 2009 with 4 cores and 8 hyperthread.

Intel have caught onto the fact that no one needs more power and are willing to spend heaps of cash for "new generation gear" that's basically smaller die, heat and power consumption while tacking on low end graphics onboard to justify the release. In all seriousness the 2core i3's should come with onboard graphics as this helps people with basic work stations and the high end cpus should get rid of the onboard graphics and step upto at least 5+ cores.

Back