TechSpot

Intel sees future in Pentium M

By Julio Franco
May 7, 2004
  1. Although not confirmed yet, Intel is said to be abandoning Pentium 4 architecture and their plans to base future processors on the P4 core in favor of the Pentium M (used in Centrino and other notebook models).

Chip giant's new plan would be to shrink Pentium M core as soon as possible and work on 64-bit capable as well as multicore processors in a not so distant future. If this is true, Prescott's succesor called Tejas (code-name) would never see the light of the day.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I wonder if AMD should be pleased about this news or not.

On one hand, it certainly gives a bit more credit to their PR-Rating system, which allthough being pretty much accepted, some people still didn't really believe that AMD's chips were as fast as the rating would make believe. I still know a lot of people that feel robbed when they discover that a 2500+ doesn't run at 2.5GHZ ( :rolleyes: ).

On the other hand, the Tejas was supposed to be the first Intel chip with EMT64 enabled. I believe Intel's adoption of AMD64 put a bit more pressure for MS to release WinXP-64, so now that this chip has been cancelled, will that make MS lazy again ? The Dothan does not have the EMT64 instruction set & won't have it until a new core has been designed & that won't happen before 2005.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.