Intel shipped 50 million PC CPUs in Q4 2023, six times as many as AMD

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? In Q4 2023, Intel reportedly shipped 50 million CPUs, six times as many as AMD. The PC processor market is virtually a duopoly between Intel and AMD, with their chips powering almost all computers globally. However, over the past few years, OEMs have begun shipping some Arm-powered notebooks and convertibles, although they remain a small minority for the most part.

The latest report on global CPU shipments comes from Canalys, which claims that Intel's global CPU market share climbed by three percent year-over-year in Q4 2023, reaching 50 million units. AMD was the second-largest manufacturer with eight million units, while Apple came in at number three with six million. However, unlike Intel, both AMD and Apple experienced a loss in market share, with their shipments decreasing by one percent and four percent, respectively. Overall, Intel held a massive 78 percent market share during the last quarter, while AMD's share stood at just 13 percent.

Despite being major players in the mobile segment, MediaTek and Qualcomm both have marginal shares in the PC market. However, the former still managed to achieve 27 percent growth during the last quarter, largely due to the success of Chromebooks.

According to Canalys analyst Ben Yeh, both companies could increase their market share in the future by providing processors for Windows devices.

The report also reveals that Intel managed to increase its CPU revenues by two percent to $41 billion, while Apple's revenues increased by eight percent year-over-year to reach $8 billion. AMD brought in $5 billion, representing a six percent increase over the same period last year. Qualcomm and MediaTek are yet to breach the $1 billion barrier, but the former is banking on a big year ahead with the impending launch of its Snapdragon X Elite and X Plus SoCs.

Looking at the PC vendors, Lenovo was the biggest one for Intel, accounting for 25 percent of its total CPU shipments, while HP, Dell, Acer, and Asus rounded out the top five with 23 percent, 19 percent, seven percent, and six percent, respectively. For AMD, Lenovo was once again the biggest customer with a 40 percent share of the total CPU shipments for the company. HP, Asus, and Acer accounted for 29 percent, 14 percent, and six percent shares, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Intel has large commercial contracts for things like basic office PCs that are mostly browser machines. They built that over decades, AMD isnt going to make those connections with a few good generations of CPUs, but I do believe that AMD does have a lot of room for growth as far as market value goes.

Intel has large commercial contracts for things like basic office PCs that are mostly browser machines. They built that over decades, AMD isnt going to make those connections with a few good generations of CPUs, but I do believe that AMD does have a lot of room for growth as far as market value goes.
Exactly this. Also why I laugh whenever I hear about the "year of the Linux desktop" - businesses will continue buying Windows and Office as just a good business practice default, and Intel CPUs are part of that mix. (yes, I use Linux as my primary OS one a couple of my devices (not counting Android), but I'm talking about momentum here)

Intel has a stronger brand image and better brand placement, too. A lot of the default builds from various stores use Intel CPUs. AMD definitely is competitive in performance, but it takes a while for the momentum to shift. The same is true on the Nvidia vs AMD GPU side. In the data center/AI space, AMD has units that can outperform Nvidia in some places (considerably more memory, for example) and are price competitive or cheaper, yet everyone keeps saying "we need X Nvidia GPUs!", even if the AMD GPU would be more capable and easier to get.

Competing on the technical merits is only the beginning to capturing market share from the market leaders.

One thing is certain: competition keeps the market healthy. The Intel foundries rested on their laurels and stagnated for years, now they have woken up and are catching back up to TSMC. ARM entering the laptop, desktop, and server space will only spur more innovation from both Intel and AMD.

Biggest issue from the commercial.side is the total lack of options. We don't need Intel, but we buy from Dell,who only offers Intel business desktops and laptops. Much as I try, I cannot convince management to switch to lenovos.
Exactly this. Also why I laugh whenever I hear about the "year of the Linux desktop" - businesses will continue buying Windows and Office as just a good business practice default, and Intel CPUs are part of that mix. (yes, I use Linux as my primary OS one a couple of my devices (not counting Android), but I'm talking about momentum here)

Intel has a stronger brand image and better brand placement, too. A lot of the default builds from various stores use Intel CPUs. AMD definitely is competitive in performance, but it takes a while for the momentum to shift. The same is true on the Nvidia vs AMD GPU side. In the data center/AI space, AMD has units that can outperform Nvidia in some places (considerably more memory, for example) and are price competitive or cheaper, yet everyone keeps saying "we need X Nvidia GPUs!", even if the AMD GPU would be more capable and easier to get.

Competing on the technical merits is only the beginning to capturing market share from the market leaders.

One thing is certain: competition keeps the market healthy. The Intel foundries rested on their laurels and stagnated for years, now they have woken up and are catching back up to TSMC. ARM entering the laptop, desktop, and server space will only spur more innovation from both Intel and AMD.
If MS continues to screw things up with I tune and windows 11, businesses may switch out of sheer annoyance. Especially as more software becomes cloud based and web browser based. Office 365 runs perfectly in Linux, and businesses are the sole reason standalone office exists at all now.

They can ship whatever amount, that doesn't mean they can sell them.

Those are mostly OEM sales that prevent AMD systems exposures, unless there is no alternatives like the case of Threadripper.

Intel takes advantage of its position to maintain market share even if it has to suffer losses in some segments by selling at deep discounts.

Yeah this isn’t surprising, Dell, HP, all the big OEM’s are near enough intel exclusive, very boring….

Biggest issue from the commercial.side is the total lack of options. We don't need Intel, but we buy from Dell,who only offers Intel business desktops and laptops. Much as I try, I cannot convince management to switch to lenovos.
If MS continues to screw things up with I tune and windows 11, businesses may switch out of sheer annoyance. Especially as more software becomes cloud based and web browser based. Office 365 runs perfectly in Linux, and businesses are the sole reason standalone office exists at all now.
Yep, my company buys from Dell, too. And convincing management (changing contracts, etc.) is always the thorn. As much as I hate Microsoft's removal of user agency in Windows 11, which is why I'm not upgrading to 11 on my gaming rig and use Linux on all my non-gaming rigs, I don't know if there's anything particularly wrong enough with Windows 11 to make businesses stay away from it, though my company hasn't switched to 11 yet. I think the licensing issues and pricing would be a bigger concern. And no business worth half their market cap wants to be running unsupported systems due to all the security risks involved.

In q4 2023 Intel sold 41,335,442 desktop and notebook processors on a gross basis and 61,978,008 desktop and notebook processors on a net basis. Net into revenue is the only comparative metric that takes into account inframarginal units and the recovery of all costs.

AMD sold 6,301,237 desktop and notebook processors on a gross basis, 12,360,428 on a net basis derived from the change between q3 and q4 quantities in other words additive between quarters as registered in the channel, and 16,199,609 on a net basis.

Reliance on OEM desktop and mobile volume statements to derive AMD and Intel unit volume under reports in fact conceals total x86 units produced and total x86 unit's OEMs procure.

AMD's desktop and mobile primary production channel share today that is Ryzen 8/7 = 37% and Intel Raptor = 63%.

For all of 2023 that includes Xeon and Epyc/TR, on a net basis Intel produces 309,296,024 units and AMD not including dGPU 79,342,897 units for a 20.42% share and with dGPU 104,053,115 units for a 26.3% share.

Mike Bruzzone, Camp Marketing

Wow!

Everyone and their dog has an absolute hatred for Intel here.

And if same was the case with AMD nobody would have an objection!

Wow!

Fanboys will be fanboys.

Lets see if I am using Zen 5 or Arrow Lake by the end of the year. Could not care less which brand I use. I look at performance in workloads that I actually do and overall stability. Ryzen still has tons of memory issues and slow boot times.

AMD loses node advantage when Arrow Lake launches. Big factor.

AMD went with 4nm, which essentially is optimized 5nm (5-10% better)

TSMC 3nm is a whole new node and should be 25-33% better than TSMC 4/5nm.

The results are nothing surprising given Intel's dominance in the PC market for decades. But based on recollection of their prior market share, this seems to be quite a significant decline. When AMD crashed and burned due to the Bulldozer blunder, I believe the market share would have been easily 90+% for Intel. Market share and sale aside, the other aspect is the profit margin which would have shrunk over the years due to competition.If there is no competition, we may have still been paying a ludicrous amount of money for a 6 core processor today.

Wow!

Otoh there's still a good few ppl out there will happily tell you that AMD CPU's run hot and heavy (nm the GPU's still having the drivers of 5 years ago)

Y'know, despite FX being gone for the better part of a decade.

Some things will never change.

Back