TechSpot

Intel to soft-launch Pine Trail platform in December

By Jos
Nov 9, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following a lengthy period at the heart of pretty much every netbook computer on the market, Intel is finally getting ready to drop its current generation N270 and N280 Atom processors in favor of the new Pine Trail platform. According to X-bit labs, a soft launch is scheduled to take place on December 21, with a raft of netbooks based on the new chips hitting the CES show floor in January.

Read the whole story
  2. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 140

Wow , this looks nice , but we will see how the reviews go . But im pretty sure Intel will go a long way with this , im also hoping they will finally let netbooks to have 2 gigs of ram :)
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,209   +74

Pretty good news to netbook users, and the processors aren't expensive at all.
  4. Deso

Deso Newcomer, in training Posts: 130

I think it would make more sense to merge the cpu into the gpu instead of the opposite

We know you need a huge card for graphics but the cpu is small, so unless we intend on using giant CPU sockets to house the beasts, I think it would make more sense to merge the cpu and possibly ram into the GPU card

You would just have to buy a motherboard and a "graphics card" with integrated cpu and there would be no need for a socket on the mother boards just the usual stuff and RAM which actually also could be integrated with the graphics card

Does anyone ele see what im saying? lol
  5. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 579   +32

I don't think it matters how the cpu and gpu are combined in a netbook, it just matters that they are. My main concern is that there is no mention of graphics performance? Will the Pine Trail platform allow users to play half decent video games (nothing super new requiring high end desktop specs or anything) or blu-ray discs (I'm not sure if any netbooks even have a bd or dvd drive)?
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,209   +74

@Timonius: If an every day user thinks of it as is, don't you think the people at innovative and creative support whom are being paid to do that wouldn't have thought of that?

They may already planned it, and it showed that it had no factibility at all, maybe too expensive, too much turn-around tech, too many cons and lesser pros, who may know what, just that it's by no sight time for it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.