Intel to soft-launch Pine Trail platform in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Following a lengthy period at the heart of pretty much every netbook computer on the market, Intel is finally getting ready to drop its current generation N270 and N280 Atom processors in favor of the new Pine Trail platform. According to X-bit labs, a soft launch is scheduled to take place on December 21, with a raft of netbooks based on the new chips hitting the CES show floor in January.

The new platform integrates a microprocessor core, graphics processor, and north bridge functionality into a single piece of silicon, code-named Pineview, while a separate Tiger Point chipset will handle I/O operations. The upcoming announcement in December will likely revolve around the single-core N450, a 1.66GHz part with a 521KB cache, HyperThreading and 64-bit support.

On the desktop side there will be the dual-core D510 and single-core D410 running at 1.66GHz, while a second, more powerful mobile part, the 1.83GHz N470, is expected later in 2010. The article suggests Intel is planning for a fast transition to Pine Trail, steering PC vendors away from the older offerings whenever possible. If previous rumors are accurate, the Atom N450 will be priced at $64, or $20 more than the currently available 1.6GHz N270, while the N470 will cost $75.

Permalink to story.

Wow , this looks nice , but we will see how the reviews go . But im pretty sure Intel will go a long way with this , im also hoping they will finally let netbooks to have 2 gigs of ram :)

I think it would make more sense to merge the cpu into the gpu instead of the opposite

We know you need a huge card for graphics but the cpu is small, so unless we intend on using giant CPU sockets to house the beasts, I think it would make more sense to merge the cpu and possibly ram into the GPU card

You would just have to buy a motherboard and a "graphics card" with integrated cpu and there would be no need for a socket on the mother boards just the usual stuff and RAM which actually also could be integrated with the graphics card

Does anyone ele see what im saying? lol

I don't think it matters how the cpu and gpu are combined in a netbook, it just matters that they are. My main concern is that there is no mention of graphics performance? Will the Pine Trail platform allow users to play half decent video games (nothing super new requiring high end desktop specs or anything) or blu-ray discs (I'm not sure if any netbooks even have a bd or dvd drive)?

@Timonius: If an every day user thinks of it as is, don't you think the people at innovative and creative support whom are being paid to do that wouldn't have thought of that?

They may already planned it, and it showed that it had no factibility at all, maybe too expensive, too much turn-around tech, too many cons and lesser pros, who may know what, just that it's by no sight time for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back