Intel Z490 motherboards up to 60% more expensive than predecessors, according to retailer

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: While Intel hasn't made any official announcements, the constant leaks suggest we’re moving ever closer to the launch of its 10th-generation Comet Lake-S desktop CPUs. Those interested in buying one of the upcoming processors will need a new motherboard with a LGA 1200 socket, and we might now have an idea of how much they’ll cost—quite a lot, in some cases.

Tom’s Hardware spotted listings for several Z490 motherboards on Ukrainian retailer ITbox’s website. The publication has converted the prices from Ukrainian hryvnia to dollars, and while PC hardware usually sells for more outside the US, it still gives us an idea of what we could expect.

ITbox lists fifteen Gigabyte Z490 motherboards that range from $171 for the Z490M to $1,072 for the Z490 Aorus Xtreme WaterForce. Compared to the Z390 versions of these mobos, the price difference ranges from 27.6 percent to a massive 61.4 percent—the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra costs $318 while the Z390 version is just $197.

It’s a similar story for MSI’s listed Z490 motherboards, which range from $192 up to $858 for the MEG Z490 Godlike (above). The smallest price jump between generations is 16.5 percent: the Z490 Gaming Carbon WiFi is $303, while its predecessor is $260. The most significant difference is for the MEG Z490 Ace, which at $504 is 59 percent more expensive than the equivalent Z390 board.

It’s not unusual for a new generation of hardware to be more expensive than its predecessor, but some of these Z490 prices do seem pricier than expected.

Earlier this month, marketing slides for the Core i9-10900K, Core i7-10700K, and Core i5-10600K surfaced online, revealing some specs of the upcoming chips. We also heard that the high-end Comet Lake desktops CPUs are quite power-hungry.

Image credit: momomo_us (Twitter), Komachi Ensaka (Twitter)

Permalink to story.

Look like the old ones. Must be very expensive chipset then. Intel competing with AMD cannot make money on CPUs anymore, so they switched to selling chipsets. That's all. Keep Calm and Carry On buying RYZEN.

We are talking about motherboards that will be useless next year and we are talking about a CPU that sockets into these motherboards that's gonna emit the same heat as the Yorkfield series of QX CPU's of 2008 or so.

We are talking about technology that will be the byword for power inefficiency in the next few years when the 10 or 7nm Intel cpus hit the market.

I predict that we are gonna see an even greater market shift to Ryzen products this year which is good b/c hopefully it will convince Chipzilla to abandon the 14nm Skylake derivatives.

No savvy enthusiast will buy Intel this year, I think.

It is also altogether possible that these companies are taking advantage of the current pandemic and simply raising the prices. If they were hit like so many other products coming out of China it could be a justified claim; only time will tell for sure.

It is also altogether possible that these companies are taking advantage of the current pandemic and simply raising the prices. If they were hit like so many other products coming out of China it could be a justified claim; only time will tell for sure.
You do have a point sir! Still, I am so happy that I upgraded my aging Intel system to a B450 (AM4) motherboard, and I don't need to wonder if it is worth to change that when the next generation CPUs hit the market.

(it also just hit me: Windows licences are now usually tied to the mobo, so if you change that, you may not be able to transfer it to the next one...I couldn't :(...so, pricier (but not necessary faster) CPUs, mandatory and more expensive new motherboards, plus potentially a new windows licence....thing are not looking good for this genertation for the blue team)

Well they’ll only get away with it if morons buy are willing to pay the price. Seriously think on back of covid-19 and economies in the toilet with huge unemployment people will have disposable cash to burn on overpriced Intel garbage.

Unbelievable, with (almost) every new CPU from Intel one has to buy a new motherboard!!

Thank you Intel, you have REALLY convinced me and many others now to go with AMD.

I hope Intel will be forced to stay longer on the same sockets. Selling a new socket every 1.5 years is a waste of electronics and is bad for our planet. Damn it Intel, your greed is pathetic.
Stop inventing new sockets and instead invent new features on the current socket types.

The sad thing is how well all this will sell. Inferior to AMD's lineup in every category AND more expensive, but brand loyalists will allow themselves to be gouged.
I think the largest part of sales goes via OEM and I am sure they are not paying anywhere remotely near these prices.

Looking at Mindfactory sales (90% AMD, 10% Intel) and Amazon US‘s CPU sales ranking (9 of the top ten selling CPU are Ryzen) it seems like enthusiasts are smarter now, I.e. at regular price most enthusiasts are saying „no thanks“.

But if you want to buy off the shelf, that‘s a different story.

If the leaked benchmarks showing Intel’s 10xxx series outperforming Ryzen 3xxx are true then this would make some sense. You always pay more for the higher performing stuff. Even if it’s just a few percent faster and runs hotter.

Not everyone is interested in best bang for their buck, some just want the best. Personally I can no longer afford that luxury in this world but that doesn’t mean those who can afford to have the best are stupid.

These companies know how to price their products better than any of us do. They obviously know something we don’t.

Either people at Intel know something we don't (like, AMD will be attacked by extraterrestrials) or their sales management is extremely stupid. Can't think of a third option.

Either people at Intel know something we don't (like, AMD will be attacked by extraterrestrials) or their sales management is extremely stupid. Can't think of a third option.
Maybe they keep the official retail prices high to make their CPU appear premium while flogging them for bargain prices to OEM who can in turn make good margins on them.

I don‘t think it‘s unreasonable to assume that a „250 Dollar“ Core i5 costs OEM more like 50ish. And Intel should still make decent margins at those prices since both the CPU and the process they are made on are essentially old tech tweaked to the max.

Back