Intel's Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X processors rumored to arrive earlier than initially...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel’s Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X products are expected to arrive ahead of schedule if the latest rumor mill intelligence is to be believed.

According to a report from BenchLife, Intel’s high-end desktop components are set to drop between week 25 and week 27 of this year. A quick check of the calendar shows that to be between June 19 and July 9, or a little over two months away at the soonest.

The publication previously reported that Intel planned to launch a new X299 chipset at Gamescom in late August. Given the revised timeframe, one would think that we’ll see the new chipset and CPUs debut at Computex which kicks off on May 30 and runs through June 3 in Taipei.

As The Tech Report notes, Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X are expected to share the same LGA 2066 socket. Skylake-X processors are said to pack anywhere between six to 10 cores, support quad-channel DDR4 memory and have loads of PCIe 3.0 lanes. Kaby Lake-X parts, meanwhile, are reportedly limited to just four cores, dual-channel memory and far fewer PCIe lanes.

BenchLife has a solid track record with hardware rumors although as always, keep in mind that nothing is for certain until it comes out of the horse’s mouth.

Permalink to story.

Competition FTW!
True. I really hope Ryzen can effectively compete with Intel's upcoming, and what will be overpriced new platform, thereby compelling them to rethink their pricing strategy. If it can't, well then they can charge whatever they feel like charging.

True. I really hope Ryzen can effectively compete with Intel's upcoming, and what will be overpriced new platform, thereby compelling them to rethink their pricing strategy. If it can't, well then they can charge whatever they feel like charging.
let's see if the rumors of an 3.1 to 3.6Ghz 16 core/32 threads CPU (based on the server Naples CPUs) + workstation platform from AMD turn out to be true. it should have a ton of PCI-E lanes and quad-channel memory support.

Last edited:
let's see if the rumors of an 3.1 to 3.6Ghz 16 core/32 threads CPU (based on the server Naples CPUs) + workstation platform from AMD turn out to be true. it should have a ton of PCI-E lanes and quad-channel memory support.
It could very well turn out to be true. The server market is where the real money is made. The desktop market is more of a platform for brand awareness for the general consumer and not nearly as profitable.

It could very well turn out to be true. The server market is where the real money is made. The desktop market is more of a platform for brand awareness for the general consumer and not nearly as profitable.
this 16 core CPU should be competing with the enthusiast desktop workstations from Intel (the x99 platform), it's not a server CPU although it's derived from Naples.

That's one crudge I got on Intel right now... Any big new on CPU front bring a new socket... this sucks. I invested some money on socket 1151 and now Intel want to bring in another socket... After looking on the last gaming benchkmars from Ryzen 5, I would happily jump sides and get an Ryzen 5 1600 for my gaming rig, knowing that I can count on this socket for a couple more years...

I agree with you guys about the server market, but for us enthusiast pc builders, AMD is packing a lot right now.
(btw, here in Brasil an Ryzen 5 is going out for 2/3 the price of a 7700K, so for gaming it's a no brainer).

Back