Intending to install wireless internet on existing modem/router

By salxtai
Aug 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello:
    I've been keen to consider setting up a wireless internet connection at home which would allow me to access a wireless laptop. I already have a modem/router (NetComm NB1300 Plus4) set up with the standard cable connections to two computers (one of which does not have wireless capabilities).

I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions on what i should be looking for in order to do such a set up, or whether its even plausible in the first place?

networking and ADSL-related issues are something i have no knowledge on, so i would appreciate any information on how to best approach this.

Thankyou kindly.
  2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Well, you will need a wireless access point you can connect to your router. Your wireless computers will connect to the access point and the access point will talk to your router/modem and your modem will negotiate with your service provider.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

like this:
    Code:
    modem--existingRouter---wiredSystems
                     +
                     +--access.point   -.-.-.-  wireless systems

4. salxtai

salxtai Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ah, I see now
    so the wireless access point would be different to a wireless router/modem then?

I am also guessing that brand compatibility is not an issue as long as its configured correctly?

Thankyou for your fast responses =)
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

to be safe, match the AP and the wireless adaptor -- it goes much easier that way.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.