Intending to install wireless internet on existing modem/router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:
I've been keen to consider setting up a wireless internet connection at home which would allow me to access a wireless laptop. I already have a modem/router (NetComm NB1300 Plus4) set up with the standard cable connections to two computers (one of which does not have wireless capabilities).

I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions on what i should be looking for in order to do such a set up, or whether its even plausible in the first place?

networking and ADSL-related issues are something i have no knowledge on, so i would appreciate any information on how to best approach this.

Thankyou kindly.

Well, you will need a wireless access point you can connect to your router. Your wireless computers will connect to the access point and the access point will talk to your router/modem and your modem will negotiate with your service provider.

like this:
Code:
modem--existingRouter---wiredSystems
                 +
                 +--access.point   -.-.-.-  wireless systems

Ah, I see now
so the wireless access point would be different to a wireless router/modem then?

I am also guessing that brand compatibility is not an issue as long as its configured correctly?

Thankyou for your fast responses =)

to be safe, match the AP and the wireless adaptor -- it goes much easier that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back