Interesting monitor debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradthegreat

I recently built a computer sans monitor, so I grabbed my grandma's old 17" CRT that's like 6 years old and hooked it up. The computer has a GeForce 4 MX 4000. The CRT ran at 1240x1200 (or something like that) and 60Hz refresh rate.
I just bought a new Samsung LCD monitor and hooked it up. It runs at the same resolution but is set at 72Hz refresh. Whilst playing games and generally messing around on the computer, it is much blurrier than the old CRT. Some of the games are hugely worse with the new monitor. This strikes me as though it shouldn't be so. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I set the new LCD to 60Hz refresh or what?

LCD monitors have one native resolution that looks good. Anything below that will look like crap, always. So if the LCD is built for 1280x1024, then that's the only resolution you should run things at.

The refresh rate shouldn't really matter, but 60 is recommnded for LCDs.

I know Hz is the refresh rate, but why does it matter what it is set at? Also, is the native resolution of an LCD always the highest? thanks

Yes, the native res is as high as it will go.

The refresh rate shouldn't matter, but then again, you never know how the ADC circuitry inside the LCD is built - it may perform poorly if the input is too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back