Interface not registered

This applies to outlook, but might be relevant. Cant do any harm, anyway, as the message almost always applies to failed registration of OLE facilities or dot-net

"To resolve this problem, register the Ole32.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box, and then click OK:
    Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll
  2. In the RegSvr32 dialog box, click OK."
You might need to run as administrator in Win 7

It says:

The module "C:\windows\System32\Ole32.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005

Okay, I ran it as administrator and it seemed to work. I had a message that told me DllRegisterServer in C:\windows\System32\Ole32.dll succeeded.

However, I attempted to open containing folder in Firefox and I still get the "Interface not registered" error.

However, I attempted to open containing folder in Firefox and I still get the "Interface not registered" error.
I don't seem to have that problem. I'm running version 23.0.1. Although you don't think Firefox is the problem, you could try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it fresh. If you want, don't delete your profile files.

I have reinstalled Firefox and the problem is still occurring. Perhaps it may be my plugins? My Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.250.17 10.25.2.17 plugin will crash my Firefox and force me to disable it in safe mode.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    727 KB · Views: 6
When you run Chrome or IE does this problem appear as well. You have updated your Windows 7 to the latest updates?

I have Internet Explorer which will not run when I try to start it up and I believe my Windows 7 is fully updated.

Do this create a dummy account on your PC. Then run IE plus Firefox and see under that account you get the same error?

Call the dummy account: TEST
Log out of the account your in.
Start Testing and report back your findings..

Is your account the Admin for that PC? Are you on a work computer? Is this PC yours or your companies?

Are you on Service Pack 1 for Windows 7?

Reasonably clear to me your PC has incorrect or confused installation of one of those crappy add-on pieces of software, either from MS (e.g. dot-net, java SDK, MSXML, DirectX, C++ etc) or someone else (e.g. Sun or Oracle Java, Adobe etc). There are not enough clues to suggest which, but if you feel capable you could start by uninstalling as many of these as possible, especially all the firefox addons, and all the dot-net, etc, then reboot and install all the latest ones, but only if you are certain you need them. You can always add things later if some package requests them.

That is as near to a full re-install of Win 7 as possible without making too much of a mess of your current settings. When re-installing firefox add-ons, try to avoid having things you are not certain you need, and do not have two versions of the same thing (like the flash you presently have)

Which of the Microsoft Visual C++ should I uninstall?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    98 KB · Views: 9
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    98 KB · Views: 7
C++ dont know. I would think Java development kit is more likely to need a good kicking. Sadly, the relevant part of your installed software list is missing. You have two snips the same.

First off, sorry to say I don't know the answer to your problem :(

However, I do raise a warning about those C++ libraries: Don't uninstall any of them unless
a) You know how reinstall what you just uninstalled or
b) You first create a backup disk image of your computer

Some app(s) on your machine depend on those C++ library versions to run and it/they will be "broke" if you uninstall one of the versions it needs

/* EDIT */
I'll add: IMHO I don't think the problem would be in C++ library. But as gbhall mentioned, re-installing java is worth a shot. There's a java uninstaller clean up tool you can use to uninstall. And reinstall from HERE. (You don't need anything about the "java developer's toolkit"). You only need the run time environment

One more thought, after java reinstall, you might also try an add-on dl manager like flashgot to FF. Maybe it'll open the folder correctly

First off, sorry to say I don't know the answer to your problem :(

However, I do raise a warning about those C++ libraries: Don't uninstall any of them unless
a) You know how reinstall what you just uninstalled or
b) You first create a backup disk image of your computer

Some app(s) on your machine depend on those C++ library versions to run and it/they will be "broke" if you uninstall one of the versions it needs

/* EDIT */
I'll add: IMHO I don't think the problem would be in C++ library. But as gbhall mentioned, re-installing java is worth a shot. There's a java uninstaller clean up tool you can use to uninstall. And reinstall from HERE. (You don't need anything about the "java developer's toolkit"). You only need the run time environment

One more thought, after java reinstall, you might also try an add-on dl manager like flashgot to FF. Maybe it'll open the folder correctly

I reinstalled Java and made sure there are no older versions of Java. After I installed Java I got an error message that says "BrowserLaunchError: 3" Does that hold any significance? I may try flashgot.

C++ dont know. I would think Java development kit is more likely to need a good kicking. Sadly, the relevant part of your installed software list is missing. You have two snips the same.

Would you like the whole list of installed software? Also is there any way to remove the Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.250.17 10.25.2.17?

Are you using a Genuine Copy of Windows 7 here? If IE won't run then re-install Windows 7 with a Genuine License Agreement. IE integrated into the OS if that doesn't run then you have some sort of internal issue going on. We all would be here trying to solve this riddle?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7-netbeans-install-433844.html.
Also describes how to uninstall the JDK - assuming you have the Oracle version and not the Java foundation version. Don't blame me, I know little about java except that it is very intrusive, quite prevalent in modern software, and yet not very adequately supported or debugged.

Note the special java uninstaller mentioned by LookinAround only helps clean up the installed run-times, not the developer toolkit. As he mentioned, unless you are a java developer, having that onboard is a bad idea.

Are you using a Genuine Copy of Windows 7 here? If IE won't run then re-install Windows 7 with a Genuine License Agreement. IE integrated into the OS if that doesn't run then you have some sort of internal issue going on. We all would be here trying to solve this riddle?

I'm sure that this is the genuine OS. I had to get rid of a virus awhile ago and I came
to TechSpot for a step by step removal. It's gone now but could the virus messed something up to where Internet Explorer isn't working?

Update:

Ok, I went to programs and features in the control panel and I clicked on view installed updates. Then I uninstalled the Internet Explorer 10 update and restarted my computer. After that I went back to the view installed update and uninstalled the Internet Explorer 9 update. After restarting my computer again I clicked on IE and it worked.

Hmmm! Now this turned out interesting....

Just for the heck of it, I check my own FF plugins - and lo and behold - I have the same Java Development plugin! I did some read (and will skip why it's there) but seems the normal Java install puts it there.

Instead of removing it, change the pull down to Never Activate (that's what I did). Are you running FF v23.0.1 (that seems to be the latest version)

And good job at fixing your IE problem (y) :)

/* EDIT */
p.s. Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?

I did as you said and changed it to never activate. I am running v23.0.1. And my Windows 7 is 64 bit. Also, is it usual for IE updates like 9 and 10 to cause problems like the one I was facing?

Back