Intermittent Blue Screen

By Heracles
Dec 17, 2008
  1. Please help. I built my PC about 8 months ago, and it keeps on crashing. The PC will run fine for a month or so then will Blue Screen and reboot. I figured it had something to do with drivers so I installed latest and continued to use it. However, it has kept happening and I am no longer convinced that it is the drivers. I found a similar thread here at techspot, and from what I gathered this blue screen is probably hardware related. I checked the event viewer, and got the following:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Save Dump
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    Date: 12/16/2008
    Time: 11:16:30 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: C2QUAD
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xa7ff457b, 0x9f76d70c, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121608-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at:
    (link to Microsoft)

I have a Core 2 Quad 2,4 Ghz (q6600) processor and an Evga nForce 780i SLI main board.

Can anyone help me track down where the error is? I have posted a few of the mini-dumps I have had.

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1. check you have the correct bios
    2. check ram with memtest 86+
    3. check registry with crap cleaner registry repair
    4. check psu with a tester tool and multimeter.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Yes, this could be a memory issue or a bios memory timing fault. Turn off "automatic restart" in Control Panel, System, Advanced, booting or somthing like that...

Check your hard drive for errors too
  4. Heracles

Heracles TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, so here is what I have done.

1) I went to Evga and found that they do in fact have an updated bios. I'll have to give it a try.

2) I have run memtest 86+ on 3 different occasions for 12 - 24 hours each time. I can do it again, but I don't think it is the RAM.

3) I ran registry mechanic. It said it found 150 problems with my registry, but wouldn't fix them unless I bought it for $30 bucks. So I did. I think I remember running it after a fresh windows install and it finding about that same number of problems and thinking it was a scam. Anyone know more about it?

4) I have run the nVidia graphics stress test for 12 hours. Their stress test kind of sucks though. Anyone know of a good free one?

5) I ran Prime95 overnight. No problems.

6) I don't have a multimeter. I am a software geek not a hardware geek. ;-) However, I did take my computer to a local computer repair shop about 6 months ago. I believe they tested the PSU, and said nothing was wrong. They also ran a more extensive Graphics test, made sure I wasn't overclocking or anything, and that I was charged $40 bucks for them doing effectively nothing. After reading some of the posts here I found that I have a folder full of minidumps that people who know what they are doing (not me) can use to figure out what is wrong.

Anyways, I was hoping someone who does know how to read a minidump could take a peek at the ones I posted, and give me a hint. Also, I am curious what program is used to read them. Anyone know?

In a number of posts it says that a BuckCheck ending in 8e tends to mean a hardware issue. Is this true?

Thanks for the help so far,
    Chris ... er... Heracles ;-)
  5. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

All the crashes were caused by RtkHDAud.sys, which is a Realtek sound driver. The process in all the crashes was war3.exe. This game has a habit of messing with sound and video drivers.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, a8d20d9b, a615071c, 0}
    Probably caused by : RtkHDAud.sys ( RtkHDAud+6ad9b )

Different driver versions, same crash.
    Image name: RtkHDAud.sys Timestamp: Tue Sep 09 19:07:31 2008 (48C64AE3)
    Image name: RtkHDAud.sys Timestamp: Tue Oct 16 19:38:15 2007 (47149497)

Minidumps (how to).
  6. Heracles

Heracles TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you!

So I never had a problem with warcraft 3 on my previous computer. Now that you mention it though I think it was the game I was playing the last few times it crashed. It did crash in Two Worlds (a few times), and Far Cry (twice) before I took it in to the local repair place. I haven't played those games in a while though. I have been playing "The Witcher" most recently. I thought it crashed once or twice in the last 6 months playing it. Maybe I just didn't get a dump on those occasions. I have played Warcraft 3 the entire 8 months I have had the computer, and often play it for a while before switching to one of these other games.

So what should I do now? I am using the mobo's audio hardware ( no sound cards or anything ). With the 2 huge graphics cards I don't know where I would put a sound card. Are there any sound tests that could tell me if there is a problem with the sound portion of my mobo? If I disable audio and it works for 2 months or so without crashing I guess I know that it can be fixed that way, but I would like to have audio.

Thanks again,

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.