Intermittent DSL connection problems

learninmypc

For about the past month or so, my W7 tower on DSL occasionally loses its connection to the internet so I right click the the icon in the notification area & click trouble shoot & it reconnects yet my iPhone & Ipad remain online no problem.
Why?

Clearly the router is doing find and the activity on W7 IS THE ISSUE.
Examine carefully what was active when the connection was lost.

Hmm;
  • what window was open?
  • what website did you access?
  • which webpage was being displayed?
  • which video was active?
  • were you reading email - - if so, which what?

Good idea - - always helpful to see the precise error or status. FF; which version and what add-ons?

btw: that site has
  • 39 javascripts
  • 65 images
  • 13 css
  • 8 html
  • 2 flash
  • 2 undetermined
files loaded on the home page. I marked the flash as these can load the browser heavily

the network adapter that is used to connect to the network or Internet is by default configured to get turned off automatically to reduce the power consumption.
ABSOULTELYdisable pOFF on all networking adapters

You do not want the adapter power off. It will do this to save energy. If the power down Is enabled. Disable it. See if this helps with your problem. Also your anti virus program can cause the problems you are having. Just went threw this with my friends PC. The fix for that is to uninstall your virus program. Then reinstall it.

You do not want the adapter power off. It will do this to save energy. If the power down Is enabled. Disable it. See if this helps with your problem. Also your anti virus program can cause the problems you are having. Just went threw this with my friends PC. The fix for that is to uninstall your virus program. Then reinstall it.
Ok, uninstall Avast & reinstall it?

Ok, it just happened again as I was watching http://www.rightthisminute.com/episode/2015-04-23-000000/rtm-42315

And to correct myself, I'm on Ethernet, NOT DSL. It happened half way thru the above show.
It told me the ethernet was disconnected yet it wasn't. I did unplug it & plugged it back in, re ran the trouble shooter & was once again back online.
On March 9th I had a brand new ethernet line installed. I'd like to know why it is continuing?:confused:

Let's clarify:
  1. the connection to the ISP is one of {Cable, DSL, Dial-up} and that's the input to your modem
  2. the modem output is Eithernet, whether it connects to a router or your PC.
It is true (for completeness) that you could purchase a T1 line as your ISP link, but that's typically $$$$ of dollars only blue-chip corporations go that route.

When a home user reports lost connectivity, the Network and Sharing Center will show,
PC ===> Home Network === x === Internet (meaning your ISP)​
and the router is no longer connected to the ISP

"
When a home user reports lost connectivity, the Network and Sharing Center will show,
PC ===> Home Network === x === Internet (meaning your ISP)
and the router is no longer connected to the ISP", Ok, yes. So is that my ISP's fault or who?
I'm simply tired of it happening & NEED to find the solution. Thanks
@jobeard

Catch 22 - - hard to diagnose precisely due to the lost itself.

First possibility is loss of PC->Router itself
Then Router -> ISP.

keep a command prompt handy; when you get the symptom
ping your router address​
if that gives timings, then likely it's the router/modem

You might try accessing the router config page and looking at the WAN side connection
refresh and it should show the ISP address, else it's dropped. PROBLEM is, router config access typically times out :sigh:

Have you set the router MTU < 1500? could be packet reassembly.

I've seen the router as I was helping replace the ethernet, but no more.
If you could tell me how to set the MTU <1500? , I could have him come over to do such. I'm wondering if the rounter/modem is getting old? I was even thinking about rebooting it to see if that'd help but so far nothing has been done.

Back