Intermittent restart/startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, a long and strange twist of events I would appreaciate your help with. Approx 2 months ago my PC decided to stop powering off when I shut it down, Windows would stop ok but PC would continue to burn power, all disks and lights on. This slowly expanded into no shutdown and then no restart.

The no restart was when the pain really began, the pC would shutdown normally and then sit there until you physically tirned the power off. Once you did that and turned it back on, nothing, power to all devices and buzzing and whirring but nothing else not even the splash screen for the graphics card.

The way round this is try 3 or 4 times, go away for 20 mins come back and turn on the power, up it comes as if nothing has happened.

OK, so now it is trying to make me depressed and takes another twist, I go through the restart process above, done my 20 mins walking up and down the garden, come back, power on, it starts up and then restarts and then BSOD.

Now go away for another 20 minutes come back turn it on and it works fine.

Ran memtest OK, running Everest OK, UNinstalled virtually all apps I only use occasionally. Installed registry mechanic, removed errors and compacted.

Now I don't know where to go, is my MB dieing? are my HDD's dieing? I have no idea anymore.

Some dumps are attached.
Windows explorer fails constantly and has to be re-opened.

Anyone? Please.....:giddy:

sorry forgot:
MB: Asrock K7S8x,
Grpahics: Nvidia Geforce 64MB
Athlon Xp 2400, 1gb DDR PC2700

All IDE channels in use, 3 HDD and 1 DVD/CD+R
running XP SP2.

It's all pretty old but running fine for what I need, no hW changes, always adding and removing apps I download and get bored with.

Look like your psu (power supply unit) may be the cause, and it's about the cheapest thing to replace!!!!

BIOS and Power

Hi, I have loaded the latest BIOS and all drivers available on the Asrock web site with no joy.

I have odered a more pwoerful and newr PSU, hopefully that will come over the weekend and my probelems will be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back