Internet, CD-ROMs not functioning

jrod4571

After thorough virus and malware cleaning, it seems that my cd/dvd roms drives are no longer seen in windows 7, internet connection is disabled and I cant reinstall it's drivers. I removed all other drives minus os drive, tried reverting to default bios. no good. cant reformat either without cd rom drive, I can see the drives in the POST but thats it
any help will be appreciated
I built the pc myself a year ago and it ran without a hitch
bin down for 2 days now
boots into windows just fine and all programs work, go figure

cant reformat either without cd rom drive
Not exactly accurate because you do have a CD/DVD drive. The BIOS sees the optical drive so by changing the boot drive in the BIOS or in the boot menu to the optical drive, a Windows DVD should boot right up. It doesn't matter that your existing Windows 7 doesn't see the the CD/DVD drive because it doesn't have anything to do with booting with the Windows disk in the optical drive.

So if you have a Windows 7 DVD, you could boot with it and attempt a Windows repair or complete installation. BTW, of course, it will have to be a DVD drive not just a plain CD drive.

I agree but it doesnt work
I'll give it another go, but many other things were disable in my device manager after my disaster
trying it again
Thanks

Edit: I cant firgure out what Im doing wrong I set boot sequence to cd rom 1st and it doesnt work
I set boot priority to dvd drive and it skips over it and goes to the harddrive
ugh

finally got it to boot from second dvd drive
onward: )

after it booted up all i got was a curser on the screen aarrgh
cant do anything with that

got disc to run , repair mode found nothing
still no internet, no cd/dvvd drives, ! on my four cores of cpu
enumerator and countless others
at a loss at this point

I suggest saving any important data from this drive and reinstalling Windows. Either that or reinstall it on another drive. The process of cleaning the malware may have damaged or deleted some files so some functions no longer work. Sometimes a repair works and sometimes it doesn't. As a last resort you can reinstall Windows. I realize it can be a pain reinstalling your other applications but on the up side you could have been done by now.

As a reminder the Windows 7 DVD won't work in a CD drive, only a DVD drive. I only mention this because it sounded like you were trying to set the CD drive as the boot drive at one point but I could have misunderstood what you wrote.

yes I understand
I have all files and programs on a different drive, I only use my main drive for outlook,windows 7 and nero. I've exproted my .pst files and will reinstall
thank you!!

quick question, do I need to delete any partitions or format them
Im showing part... 1&2 obviously from prior install I dont want to save anything that was damaged?

Since you built this PC yourself originally and you created the original partitions at the time (or perhaps later), you could delete all partitions, format and repartition all over again during the Windows installation process if you want. If one partition was used for the operating system and one partition for just the storage of data, you could just format and reinstall on the operating system partition only. That's usually the advantage of setting up partitions that way but it's up to you how you want to do it.

My bad I meant to say part 1 was for system reserved
part 2 was the rest of the disc should delete both and let windows install repartition the reserve again
sorry

Yes, I would go ahead and let Windows reinstall the reserve partition again. That's what I do when I reinstall Windows. My PCs are typically set up like yours and when I occasionally reinstall Windows I delete the old reserve partition and let Windows recreate it. I don't know if it is absolutely necessary but it doesn't hurt either.

Back