Internet Connection / Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweakster

What are the UK avalible Internet Connections?
Am i correct thinking fastest is in order?
Cable, ADSL,ISDN,DSL,56k

Would i be able to run a network with a Windows 98SE and WinME system? Then have them both on the internet? Both computers might not be on at same time but they might some times. Would i need to have the computer which is connected to internet on for Other computer to use internet? Im guessing i would need 2 LAN cards. What setup should i use WinSE dosnt at the mo have USB. OK please shift through and help me out.

Originally posted by Tweakster
Would i be able to run a network with a Windows 98SE and WinME system?

Yes... Just get yourself two network cards (NIC's) and a hub/switch, and you're good to go :)

Then have them both on the internet? Both computers might not be on at same time but they might some times. Would i need to have the computer which is connected to internet on for Other computer to use internet?

Yes, you can have both of them on the net at the same time...
But when it comes to how to set it up, it depends on what connection you've got/are getting...
If you're using 56k, you have a couple of options:
1. using a 56k modem in one 'puter and install "internet sharing" or something like that...
Though with that option, the 'puter with the modem have to be on and online for the other to access the inet...

2. using 56k modems in both, which would remove the need for both 'puters to be up and running at the same time (and would remove the need for the LAN (unless you want to play lan matches/share files etc))

3. Using xDSL... Get a router (if the xDSL modem won't register properly on the switch/hub), connect it to the hub/switch. The either, or both, 'puters can be online... (The setup will depend a bit on how the ISP connects you...)

4. Using Cable... Same as 3...

What setup should i use WinSE dosnt at the mo have USB. OK please shift through and help me out.

What on earth do you need usb for? If you plan on getting a USB xDSL/cable modem/nic, don't... It'll put a strain on your cpu, and you'll be severly limited in bandwidth... (USB isn't known for it's fast speed....)

I hope my answers help you a bit, if not, be a bit more specific...
I'm sure we can help you set up everything you want :)

What are the UK avalible Internet Connections?
Am i correct thinking fastest is in order?
Cable, ADSL,ISDN,DSL,56k

Correct order would be Cable, ADSL, DSL, ISDN, 56k.
Single ISDN is 64k, while dual is 128k.
There's also T3 and T1 :D
And the OCxxx series of internet connections, but those are just a little expensive. (I mean $500,000 a month expensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back