Internet Connection Sharing stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I'm using a Windows XP Pro PC as host, its connected to the internet using an ADSL connection.
Then I have a notebook here, using win XP home, and it connects to the host PC through a hub.

Everything was working fine, but then suddenly internet connection sharing stopped working. I just don't have any connection to the internet from my notebook anymore. Network itself is working fine. I can transfer files around and stuff, just can't connect to the internet. When I'm using a proxy app like WinProxy its working too, but using such a proxy gives problems with secure stuff like secure irc servers or ebay. So I really need ICS back. I tried deleting all the connections and setting them up again from scratch several times. I really have no idea whats wrong as I didn't change any settings at all on neither one of the computers. I hope someone can help me here.

no it doesn't work at all

192.168.0.1 is only used by my host pc
192.168.0.2 is used by the notebook

not using a PPP connection

Does the notebook have the proper DNS settings ?

Check that 192.168.0.1 is the default gateway & that the DNS servers are the one provided by your ISP.

Also check on the desktop & see if the Internet Connection Sharing service is still running. While you're at it, check to see if there are any error messages in the logs of both machines.

Nah - make all your client machines get EVERYTHING from DHCP (i.e. obtain automatically.) Don't set ANYTHING manually with ICS under Windows. The machine providing the ICS acts as a DNS proxy.

So set all machines to use DHCP for everything - unless the ICS machine (the server, if you like) requires different settings, fair enough - but certainly all other machines should use DHCP for everything.

ok I played around a bit some more with the settings and set the notebook IP and DNS stuff to obtain automatically (I could swear I did that several times before) and it suddenly worked again.

All client machines should ALWAYS use DHCP with ICS and nothing else. Don't have ANY static settings.

Phant, I used ICS for about 6 months with static addresses and it worked great, BUT then all of the sudden it just wouldnt work anymore no matter what was done. I say ICS is just crap :p. I had to buy an ethernet modem to use with my D-Link router to do the sharing. ICS just wouldn't cut it. Even after doing a clean install of Windows on both machines it still wouldnt work. All of the sudden when I would try to set it up I got errors saying 192.168.0.1 was in use (obviously by my D-Link router that I was using as a switch) which had never happened before when setting it up, and the main machine has to use 192.168.0.1 so I had to unplug the router, turn on ICS, change the IP to a static IP other than 192.168.0.1, then plug in the router. Still didn't work though. Well it would about 2% of the time, but thats about it.

From what I've heard ICS is just very unreliable. I personally would recommend getting a switch if you have a ethernet DSL modem and sharing your connection that way. That's if your DSL modem has DHCP. If not, then I would just get a ethernet broadband router with DHCP and go for one with a firewall also if you want. If your DSL modem doesn't have DHCP for some reason (I'm not sure if all ethernet dsl modems do or not) then you'll need a ethernet broadband router.

For example, I'm using the D-Link DI-604, but I'd recommend something like LinkSys. I've had some problems with D-Link.

You can try to use static addresses with ICS on the clients, but its not a good idea. Its designed to use DHCP, indeed ICS is a collection of technologies which includes:

DHCP Allocator
DNS Proxy
Network Address Translation

I have used ICS for quite some time, and as long as I use dynamic addresses, there is no problem. There is no reason really that I can think of why any of you should be using static addresses, unless you are installing services such as DHCP, DNS, etc onto a Windows 2000 or 2003 Server installation, in which case it may complain about a dynamically assigned (DHCP) address.

I have found ICS to be on the whole reliable, provided you realise a few things, that 1)you should use dynamically assigned TCP/IP settings (set to obtain automatically, i.e. use DHCP), 2)that if you reboot the server machine, you need to reboot or run ipconfig /renew on the client machines, 3)That the outside world only sees your server machine, not any of the clients.

Realise these things and ICS should be fairly stable and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back