internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am able to use internet via a neighboors network in my building. Signal strength shows excellent, but cannot connect, no packets received. How can I set my computer up to use this network? Have win xp. Thank you.

Firstly does your neighbour know that you wish to connect to his wireless network, if so you must have a network key to connect to his network, if it shows that you are connected but aren't getting anything on browser, check the DNS's settings, also apply the ip address staticly, disable any firewall or antivirus as they can block you from accessing that network.

I don't know where you are Joel, but I doubt it is legal to log into someone else's wireless network without their permission. Ask them, and they will probably agree especially if you offer to contribute to their subscription costs. They will probably help you connect - but I'm afraid that I will not.

you will need to change ur default gateway n set a manual IP n maybe even ur subnet mask.
the reason being that u may recieve the signal but that wifi doesnt recognise u

ok neighbour doesn't know, so you want to hack into his system, he is probably clever enough to secure his network, when you connect to that network, what happens, does it connect you or what is happening

Limited or no connectivity

I just have a quick question here, How do i fix the limited or no connectivity, can anyone tell me what happens to the pc when i get that limited or no connectivity,

Sheesh.

1) If you are connecting to anothers network there is nothing we can do to help diagnose the issue since we don't know how they are setup. Is it static or DHCP? Encrypted WEP/WPA? Mac Address filtering? etc. There are way to many factors. He internet may actaully be DOWN as well!

2) It's illegal

3) He could actually packet watch and retrieve all your passwords that you send.

etc.

BTW, limited or no connectivity on a wireless network normally means that the WEP/WPA key you entered was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back