Internet explorer can't connect to internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyhkuj

hello. My internet explorer and mozilla firefox can't connect to the internet. When i go onto internet explorer, it can't load the page so i click on diagnose connection problems and it tells me that the following policy needs to be adjusted to allow me to connect: vswfp_layer_ale_auth_connect_v4. does anybody know what to do? ie version 7 and running win vi$ta! :cool:

Here is a good guide to follow:

You may wish to Print this page

Inside Internet Explorer click on "Tools" on the toolbar
(Note: in IE7, you may need to press ALT on the keyboard to see the IE toolbar)

After clicking on "Tools" click on "Internet Options"

• The first window you are presented with will be the "General" tab settings
  • Inside the "General" tab you can select "Delete..."
  • The next popup window will ask you what to delete.
  • You can select one button at a time, or "Delete all", answering Yes
Once this is completed (and it may take some time to do) Continue on:

Still in the General Tab
  • Click on "Settings" (next to Delete)
  • Change the "Disk space to use" to 65
  • Select OK
Now, go to the Security tab
  • Click on "Custom Level"
  • Click on "Reset"
  • Click on "OK"
Now go to the Privacy tab
  • What I do in here, is move the vertical slider slighty up or down
  • This allows "Default" to highlight
  • Click on "Default" (the slider will come back down)
  • Click on Apply
At last go to the Advanced tab
  • Click on "Restore advanced settings" (a bad way of saying default)
  • Also if you scroll down the list, you will find "Phishing Filter" (I usually disable this annoying popup)
  • Click on Apply
  • Click on OK
Restart Internet Explorer

Run inetwiz after that

edit:
Actually I am trying to find details on vswfp_layer_ale_auth_connect_v4 which seem to be quite scarce

i done all of the steps that you told me to take with no luck. by the way y did i need to run inetwiz?

vswfp_layer_ale_auth_connect_v4 is a VISTA Policy issue, not a tcp configuration issue ...
let me do some research .....
jeff

I've ravaged the MS site for info on Vista Policies and can't find the one cited above.

Without access to a Vista system, I can't explore for any more details, sorry :(

Jobeard, i mean safari works fine it's just that ie7 and mozilla firefox went off completely for some reason. I mean i can work with safari fine but not for long because i play online games and some of them require shockwave which safari for some reason can't install. there is NO file on the adobe website that is shockwave for safari web browser; if there is a file for safari it's for apple os NOT windows. by the way don't get sad jobeard it's not your fault at least you tried. well thanx buddy

Please update all your system drivers

But I have another idea regarding the policy error
Re-download the updated driver for your Network card (and save it to Desktop (or easy access location)
Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
And remove your current Network driver (this will affect your network settings)
Restart your computer. And load the new Network card drivers (on next restart)

Test again :)

kiyhkuj said:
Jobeard, i mean safari works fine it's just that ie7 and mozilla firefox went off completely for some reason. I mean i can work with safari fine but not for long because i play online games and some of them require shockwave which safari for some reason can't install. there is NO file on the adobe website that is shockwave for safari web browser; if there is a file for safari it's for apple os NOT windows. by the way don't get sad jobeard it's not your fault at least you tried. well thanx buddy

SAFARI? Are you on OS X Mac? If so, no wonder we're having problems with the policy!

well we're down to:

Start-->Run--> SFC /ScanNow
This can take up to an hour to complete, and will likely require your Windows CD
It confirms all Windows files are intact and the right ones
Actually I just did it to mine, because something didn't seem ok, now all's fine.

So please try that

kimsland have u ever experienced such a problem before?
Also, does the SFC repair the faulty files or tell u which onces are faulty?
Does the SFC scan through security policies too? because the problem is arising from that.

vswfp_layer_ale_auth_connect_v4

No I've never experienced that error
Seems searching around no one has a direct answer either

Yes try the SFC /ScanNow

Kimsland, when i type the SFC into run a cmd window comes and then in a flash disappears again!
Also, when i open a cmd file using run and type sfc/ scannow it says that i need to be an administrator (which i am) running a console session in order to use the sfc utility. do you have any ideas?

Actually just Start --> Run--> sfc /scannow

Please copy and paste the bold part into run
By the way it takes about an hour!

as i said it doesn't work!

when i wirte it in run a cmd window flashes and disappears. by the way i'm using vista home premium: does this have anything to do with it? I tried this utility in xp and it worked.

Also, as i said before, when i open cmd and tye the command into it, it says that i need to be an administrator running a console session in order to use sfc utility. PLZ read CAREFULLY!!!

Right click the Command Prompt. Run as Administrator

image%7B0%7D.png

it completed the scan tried to fix some files and told me that fixing will be completed once i restart my computer. i restarted and ie still does not connect. It said that "some of the errors could not be repaired. look at the following text file file: cbs.txt." when i went on there an error popped up which said "access is denied" I tried to hack it by the security thing but it doesn't open. i'm gonna go mad!! hey should i try this in safe mode?

Yes, but
if it's missing some standard system files, then it may be better to run a Repair on your system (using your Windows DVD)

Actually if it were mine (meaning maybe just do this) I'd backup , then install Windows fresh (ie why Repair) I'd also remove the current partition and reformat too.

Have all drivers available on CD first (or use your original motherboard CD)

i don't want to actually go to extent of reformating vista and reinstalling it. I want to keep as far away from that as possible. is there any alternative software that do the same thing as the 'group policy object editor'? if there is plz let me know thanx

There's just not enough rock hard info on this error

Re-installing will confirm it is software or hardware

Even use another drive (if available) Hey good time to update! (mind you, that will remove the hard drive from the equation too)

kiyhkuj said:
is there any alternative software that do the same thing as the 'group policy object editor'? if there is plz let me know thanx

Assuming the name has not changed; run->gpedit.msc

That program doesn't exist in XP/Home but only in XP/Pro ---
Vista is likely to be similar.

My major complaint with gpedit.msc is the lack of a FIND as in regedit!

UNLESS you have experience with GPO objects, I recommend against this approach.
If you elect to pursue this course, be sure the get a Restore Point BEFORE you start :)

gpedit.msc doesn't even exist in vista home premium. i've pointed this out lots of times

My only complain about gpedit.msc is why doesn't it exist in vista home premium in case something like this happens?

WOW! OMG men!! i restarted xp and went into vista. when vista loaded up i clicked on ie7 to check if it's working again or not....

and guess what? i could not believe my eyes: it loaded up!!! so that's that!! now on i can play games and have a fully functional ie7 and mozilla firefox!! thank you so much for your help as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back