TechSpot

Internet Explorer Favorites...Gone!

By artfulmisuse
Feb 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi; I'm brand new here, and I hope you can help me out. I am SO freakin' mad at Microsoft right now.

I downloaded their Microsoft Antispyware program. Upon the last reboot, the program said it found some potential hazards, and asked me to allow or block them. I blocked the ones that said: Block(recommended), and lo and behold, it was my favorites for IE6. Now, when I click Favorites in IE, its completely blank. AR!

I tried uninstalling the Microsoft Antispyware program, but it gave me a Fatal Error saying something like, "could not locate user\%favorites%". And now it WON'T uninstall!

The worst part of all this is I got hasty and located the Microsoft Antispyware program in C:\Program Files and deleted everything I could in the folder. One file, shellextension.dll, can not be deleted.

I want my favorites back and I want this stupid program OUTTA HERE! Please help!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I don`t know if this`ll help, but maybe you could try a system restore, to a point before your problems began.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. artfulmisuse

artfulmisuse TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok ill give that a shot

4. artfulmisuse

System restore didn't work. I miss my favorites =[

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I`m sorry to hear that.

I`m afraid I don`t have any other ideas.

Regards Howard :(

6. ender

ender TS Rookie Posts: 99

If you've got no backup then you're not very likely to get your favourites back. :(

For the future, I recommend you use some type of online bookmarking scheme like del.icio.us . This way, no matter what happens to your computer you won't loose those favourite sites... ever again. :D Try to downloasd and use Firefox ... as well. Is can easily be customized to work with del.icio.us . :grinthumb

7. artfulmisuse

yeah, I've got firefox and I'm sure that'll work fine. The most important thing, though, is finding out why this happened and how I can get Microsoft Antispyware off my computer.

8. MistaRip

MistaRip TS Rookie

didnt u import ur favs to ur firefox?

u can try a program to recover lost data. maybe it'll recover ur favorites.

try Ontrack EasyRecovery

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.